Teachers Married to Police Officers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 31, 2010

I don't know about you guys, but in my area, numerous (female) teachers are married to men in law enforcement. Is it like that where you are? Why do you think these two occupations end up together so often?

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Mar 31, 2010

IMO: They are both careers that employ large amounts of people, other than the local hospital they are the largest employers in my city. Therefore if there are a lot of each in an area then the odds are that they are going to meet one another and possibly marry.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 31, 2010

My friends are like this...she teaches, and he is LEO...it's hard b/c they just had baby and she is alone most days...but he helps out a lot when he can.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2010

Interesting....I see that here too - law enforcement of various types (we have sheriff, police, federal agencies, prison deputies and lots of border patrol) and fire fighters, as well.

6. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Mar 31, 2010

My husband just got out of law enforcement to finish up on his masters degree. In my area, there are only a few that are married to LEO, but lots are married to corrections officers. :)

7. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Mar 31, 2010

I don't know of anyone around here that is... that doesn't mean there isn't, though. I just don't know them. :)

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Mar 31, 2010

Not a single one in my town.

Most of our teachers are married to other teachers or to factory workers.

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Mar 31, 2010

Not so much in my area, but I dated a fireman for awhile. It was hard, because our schedules were so out of sync. We talked when we could, but it was still quite rough. Because when he was off, I was usually at work!

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 31, 2010

My brother is a cop, and he's dating a kinder teacher. I don't think there is a reason-they just met and hit it off!

11. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Apr 2, 2010

Two coworkers here that are married to cops. IDK why it is, but one coworker mentioned that MANY of her husband's cop friends are married to teachers!

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2010

I know more teachers married to firefighters....I am!
    It is because..... teachers are trained how to handle children. firefighters and cops are just big kids, so it's a perfect match!;)

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 3, 2010

Well that's MOST men for that matter! :lol: Just kidding! ;)

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2010

I'm thinking that it just SEEMS that many teachers are married to cops because 'cop' is such an easily identifiable profession (think of how young kids learn about careers/community: teacher, firefighter, police)....I'd hazard a guess that probably more teachers are married to those in business...either for themselves or in a larger corporation: services, sales,advertising, accounting, finance...

And hmmm, nope, I live with 3 men- DH and 2 sons. They aren't big kids...they are responsible hard-working MEN of whom I am proud.