Teachers in the San Francisco Bay Area-how do you make it?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by linswin23, May 8, 2018.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 8, 2018

If you live in the Bay Area, how do you make it financially?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

May 9, 2018

I’d imagine people share a dorm with other working professionals or they rent out a room or an entire living space. That’s what I did for a while before I started teaching and I was paying off my student loans at the time.

My suggestion is to look around on Craigslist for places to rent. For example, in my last place I stayed there for 6 years and the landlord let me stay in his place practically for free — he only charged me $450/month to rent the entire house to myself and he never raised the rent. Not once in those 6 years! I would still be living there if he didn’t gift the house to his son. Sigh.

To further demonstrate, my current place only costs $620/month and I found it on, you guessed it, Craigslist. It’s great because it’s so affordable and it allows me to have a lot more disposable income after paying rent!

linswin23 likes this.
  4. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 9, 2018

I've been scanning Craigslist! There are a lot more options! I'm married with no kids, so my husband and I are considering doing a house share or renting a mother-in-law unit because we don't need much space. We are relocating to the Bay Area, so we are considering all housing options.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

May 9, 2018

I just can't help but think of the old Rick Moore prank call from my childhood every time I read about CA.

"CALIFORNIA!??!!? Who said anything about California!?"

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

May 9, 2018

Are you in the SF Bay Area? There's not much around here at that low a rate.

linswin23 and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  7. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

May 9, 2018

I moved to San Francisco in 2007, so it was before all the IPOs and resulting insanity. We paid a "meager" $1500 at the time for our tiny, basic, ugly, old, 1-bedroom on top of Twin Peaks, which was one of the more affordable areas at the time (lovely views when not fogged in, but oddly inaccessible for being in the dead center of the city). When we moved out, our LL promptly re-rented in for twice that. Frankly, I don't know how new teachers in the city make it -- I think most double up on housing, or commute long distances. It is really sad to me what is happening to the city.

linswin23 likes this.
  8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

May 9, 2018

Aren't you in SoCal? $620 anywhere in CA is unheard of. I'm in the Central Valley. Before purchasing my home, I lived in a 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment and paid $900/month. Granted, it was in a nice area and the complex was brand new.

linswin23 and ms.irene like this.
  9. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 9, 2018

I'm a bit worried about the financial situation, but I think my husband and I will make it since we both work. We are from Southern California, so the rent it about the same down there in comparison to the rent in the area my new school is located in (Easy Bay). We will just have to shop around for the best prices....

10. YoungTeacherGuy

May 10, 2018

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

May 10, 2018

Depending on where you are in the East Bay, it might be a little better. I'm in the North Bay and prices are around where they were in SF when we left there. Unfortunately, anywhere within a reasonable commute of the city is going to be $$$.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

May 11, 2018

No, I am not. I searched around for hours and found my current renter.

13. Been There

Been There Cohort

May 11, 2018

I lived in the Bay Area for over 30 years and saw rents go up and up and up. My first apartment in one of San Francisco's finest neighborhoods rented for $300 per month. My last apartment rented for $1200 per month and now probably rents for at least $2500 per month. Even with so-called rent control, the best prices aren't low enough to enable even couples with two incomes to save much. Many young people are initially drawn to the excitement of city life, but soon relocate after realizing that they must pay an extremely high price for the urban experience. The only people I know who still remain in the Bay Area are those who inherited their parent's estate which always included a house with no mortgage. I often lament that I was born too late.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  14. YoungTeacherGuy

May 11, 2018

I am intrigued by this. The only places one can find for that price in this area are located in crime-ridden/gang-infested neighborhoods.

ms.irene likes this.
  15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

May 11, 2018

True, but I lucked out, it seems. I actually live in a very nice neighborhood (though the house is on the smaller size — 1,200 square feet) and crime is very low in my city. I don’t want to give any indentifying information of where I live, but I shopped around for many, many hours over a period of several days and just so happened to see above posting on Craigslist. The landlord said that they just wanted a little extra spending money since the house is paid off and I sweetened the deal by paying the entire year’s worth of rent plus security deposit ($8,060) all in one lump sum for the first year. The landlord loves it because I take excellent care of the property and I am never late on any payments of any kind. She says all the time that I’m the best tenant she ever had. :)

Speaking of which, I plan to do that next year and every year thereafter until I buy a house because I hate getting bills every month. It makes more sense for me to prepay for the entire year for rent, car and health insurance, etc., if I can afford it. That way, I can use my paychecks for fun each month after contributing to retirement. Sure, it takes a dip in my savings, but only having to pay for food and miscellaneous things each month is awesome!

linswin23 likes this.
  16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 12, 2018

Yes, SF is high alright.

My city isn't so cheap either! :mad::eek: I live in Southern California about an hour from L.A. & my 1 bedroom, 1 bath apt rent just increased for it's annual increase to $1700/mo & even with that, I negotiated like I do every year to try to get it lowered. It would have been even more. I will have lived here 6 yrs now this June. There's no rent control here.

linswin23 likes this.
  17. Joyful!

Joyful! Cohort

May 12, 2018

South Florida is expensive in that manner as well. You can find less expensive options, but you will need to hire a body guard and security team. :)
    All of the single people at my school are subsidized by someone. Either they rent out a room from someone or they rent rooms to someone. The married people are all subsidized by their spouses. Additionally, many work second jobs all year long and others take summer positions that help defray their losses.
    We had family in the SF area, and when we we went to visit them and saw the prices, we found the prices high in any place that seemed livable.
    I don't know how we as a nation can continue to expect to improve education without adjusting the way budgets are formulated. We need to spend differently. It's not that more money is necessarily needed, but that we need to earmark more for the staffing. We are losing the best teachers to the marketplace--not because they are not desirous to leave teaching but because they desire to eat and provide a life beyond the oldest car, insurance where they can afford the premiums, but not the co-pays, and something beyond ramen noodles and bogo pasta.

ms.irene and linswin23 like this.
  18. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 14, 2018

Yup...I'm from SoCal and that sounds about right. I did live in the high desert (Victorville Area) and our rent was $738! However, that area isn't our cup of tea. We left there about four years ago.

19. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 14, 2018

SO TRUE.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

May 14, 2018

Reading this makes me love my small Kentucky town even more.

ms.irene likes this.
  21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 14, 2018

Yep, the deserts are cheap because it's not the most desirable place to live. My fiance' has 2 brothers in the desert & one of them doesn't really like it...don't know about the other one, but they both own their homes & the mortgage is much cheaper than what I pay & they have good-sized homes. I'd still never want to live in the desert in a million yrs.

My apt's cheaper than most of the apts in my specific city. The newer complexes very easily start at $1900/mo, heck the smallest units nowadays are probably at least $2100 - 2200 by now. :confused::mad::eek:

linswin23 likes this.