TEACHERS IN PRIVATE SCHOOLS- ANY PROSPECTS?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rutherford, Jul 8, 2017.

1. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 13, 2017

It has been my experience that in private schools which are not religious in nature, science and math teachers are highly competitive with public school salaries as long as the candidate is savvy enough to ask for a salary that is competitive. Some of the other content areas are not as competitive, IMHO.

2. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Jul 14, 2017

I take a $10,000+ pay cut as opposed to public school pay. BUT the environment I teach in is heavenly! I get to focus on teaching and not red tape and I always have less than 10 students at a time.

Obadiah likes this.
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Rookie

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:23 AM

I work at a private high school in California, make $55,000 a year, and am a fourth year teacher -- I'm 25. Concerning my education, I have a Bachelors degree in Mathematics, a Masters degree in Mathematics Education, and a Full Single Subject Preliminary teaching credential.

I do not have a salary schedule at my school because salaries are negotiated on an individual basis with the principal and head of school. For example, every AP teacher (including myself) at the school was given a $6,000 raise and you receive an automatic raise when you complete your Masters ($3,000 to $4,000 raise) and teaching credential ($3,000 to $4,000 raise).

I hope this helps.

4. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:33 AM

I'm actually leaving public school to go teach at a private school in September. There are a any reasons for my decision but Momey did factor in. I am getting a 25% raise at the private school.

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:56 AM

Do you receive COL increases yearly?

6. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Similar thing happened to me. I left public school to teach at a private Christian school for variety of reasons. Money was not a factor for me at all. I was so miserable that I was willing to take a pay cut as long as it was livable. I ended up making more money as a second-year teacher at my private school (about $3,000 more) than I would have by staying at the public school, and my benefits are just as good, if not better. That doesn't include the cost of living allowance my school gives me.