TEACHERS IN PRIVATE SCHOOLS- ANY PROSPECTS?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rutherford, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Rutherford

Rutherford Rookie

Jul 8, 2017

Do teachers who work in private schools have bright prospects? I use Nigeria as a case study. Huge number of teachers in Nigeria teach in private schools. The reason is that there is a limited space in public schools. From this situation, has emerged a visible disturbing phenomenon: they are poorly paid (in some cases salary is delayed), they bear heavy workload often handling many classes in a day, continuous drift from school to school, most live from hand to mouth, etc. Is this the situation in your country? How do we reverse this ugly trend?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 8, 2017

It honestly depends upon the individual school, if it is a private one. They aren't regulated by government as public and even charter ones are. Some private schools are fantastic, others not so much.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jul 8, 2017

I work in a private school and use to work in a public school. Most of my teacher friends are in public schools, so I do stay in touch with some current public school trends.

I find that often public schools and private schools are in similar situations. In general private schools pay less. Usually that is between 10%-50% less than public schools. When salaries go up for public school teachers, they often go up for private school teachers.

Currently the best kept secret seems to be that the number of students in private schools are going down in many areas of the country. Charter schools are able to get students from public and private schools. I would not say that those teaching in private schools have brighter prospects right now. The plus side for those in private schools is that many teachers have more autonomy as many public schools are becoming more test oriented . Otherwise both public and private schools are losing numbers in lots of states with the growth of Charter schools.

Rutherford likes this.
  5. Rutherford

Rutherford Rookie

Jul 8, 2017

You are right! Only few private schools offer bright prospects for teachers. Sometimes, i wonder when teachers will begin to reap rich rewards from their labour no matter where they are employed

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 9, 2017

I've not seen a private school in the area match the salary of the public district. The catholic schools were offering some ridiculous salary....like $29K to start in a major urban area. I'm not even sure how one could live off that. I've never seriously considered taking a job at any private school, even the independent ones.

Rutherford likes this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2017

The rich rewards of teaching are more than monetary.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 9, 2017

Private schools around here do not pay well at all. Even the most expensive private school here pays substantially less than the public schools. The teachers get huge gifts at Christmas and end of the year though. And they don't shell out money for supplies and kids' basic needs like public school teachers do. For the teachers I know, that is.

Rutherford likes this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 9, 2017

Specialized private schools, such as those for ED/BD students, or those dealing with other disabilities, usually pay well, because the private schools are competing for the same limited number of highly qualified teachers to work with these populations. That makes this a special situation, in my opinion. Religious schools where I live make the least overall. Some districts that are notoriously hard to teach in may pay fairly well, because that's what it takes to get teachers. I know that I am appalled by how low teacher salaries can be in other states. I would say that in NJ our salaries reflect the fact that our cost of living is on the higher side, and add that many districts desire teachers who have more education.

Rutherford likes this.
  10. Rutherford

Rutherford Rookie

Jul 9, 2017

Teachers deserve the best treatment because they labour to enrich others, governments and other stakeholders should bear this in mind

Obadiah likes this.
  11. physteach

physteach Companion

Jul 10, 2017

I'm a private school teacher and I get paid the same as I would at a public school.

Rutherford likes this.
  12. Rutherford

Rutherford Rookie

Jul 11, 2017

I quite agree. Deep satisfaction, joy and a sense of accomplishment are some non monetary rewards. But all these could be affected to some extent if there is no commensurate financial returns. Which teacher would be happy if taking care of his basic needs eludes him? His well of enthusiasm could eventually dry up

Obadiah likes this.
  13. Rutherford

Rutherford Rookie

Jul 11, 2017

Please, tell us more about it. We are really eager in scaling up our earnings

14. Obadiah

Obadiah Cohort

Jul 11, 2017

I believe the U.S. public school system is excellent, and my post is not being written to decry their effectiveness, but I've worked in private religious schools for most of my career. Most of them were affiliated with the Association for Christian Schools International (ACSI). <https://www.acsi.org/> I've also met teachers and learned reports about other religious schools. Salaries are low, but usually livable. Some religious schools do withhold salary until funds are available--that only happened to me during one pay period, but I've heard it regularly occurs at some schools. Workload varies; I've heard that some religious schools overload their teachers with excessive menial and trivial tasks that, if parents were truly concerned, could be done by volunteers; on the other hand, in other schools (such as the ones I've worked in), many of the extra tasks are readily done by both the teachers and the parents--most of these teachers and parents are highly dedicated. Some, if not most, U.S. religious schools provide excellent learning opportunities for the students, and some provide the worst possible learning environment (based on reports I've heard). So basically, it depends on each individual school. Organizations such as ACSI tend to provide individualized assistance to each of their schools to ensure a quality professional life for the teacher and a quality educational experience for the students. Professional development requirements also vary, but I do think ACSI puts a bit too much emphasis on religious studies for the teachers, requiring college level religious courses that could be more economically obtained (both time and money wise) through personal Bible study and church/Sunday School attendance; however, to their defense, they also provide free courses that may be audited by teachers at their conventions eventually leading up to the same required "hours" of coursework. Many religious school educators advance in their career to be come administrators or college level professors; many, such as myself, prefer to stay localized in the classroom; I never noticed a rush to move up the ladder (an American expression for advancing in a job situation). Most religious educators are more concerned with fulfilling a mission of education than personal enrichment; well, let me rephrase that. Most religious educators find personal enrichment in fulfilling their mission.

Rutherford likes this.
  15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 11, 2017

Government is not a stakeholder in a private school setting, at least not in the US.

Rutherford likes this.
  16. physteach

physteach Companion

Jul 11, 2017

I don't do anything other than ask for them to match my previous salary? I"m good at what I do and come with glowing recommendations, but cannot take a pay cut. I worked about a year in public and used that as my original "I need you to match this, plus a bit, so I can take this job".

Rutherford likes this.
  17. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 11, 2017

May I ask what you teach?

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2017

I went from private (with a pay scale for which helped us qualify for our home in a high COL county) to public where I more than doubled my pay and provided for better professional and financial growth. I loved my tiny private Catholic school but they can't possibly compete fiscally. And they shouldn't have to. It's all about choices and opportunities.

Rutherford and Obadiah like this.
  19. physteach

physteach Companion

Jul 11, 2017

I am certified in MS Science and Physics.

Rutherford likes this.
  20. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 11, 2017

May I ask what kind of private school you teach in?

Rutherford likes this.
  21. physteach

physteach Companion

Jul 12, 2017

I've taught in a couple of private schools, all non-religious.

Rutherford likes this.