Teachers, do you grade homework at home?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pohkid, Jun 25, 2013.

1. pohkid

pohkid New Member

Jun 25, 2013

Hi,

I just became a teacher and really want to know what teachers usually do when it comes to grading homework. Should we bring homework home and grade it when we're off, or should we just do it when we're at work at school? Thanks!

3. bella84

bella84 Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2013

I never found the time to grade it at school when I was a classroom teacher.... at least not during the actual hours of the school day. And, not if I wanted to pull small groups during independent work times. It was the expectation of my administration that grading only be done during plan time or before/after school, and I always had other things needing done during plan time.

4. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 25, 2013

It all depends. If I have time to do it during my planning period, I do. Usually I don't. My planning period is usually taken up by meetings, last-minute paperwork and/or individual student issues. Therefore, if I'm grading the homework, I take it home. It's not that bad.

There are ways to avoid bringing homework home. Kids love to "trade and grade" in class. Some teachers do not grade the majority of homework, because they believe it's unfair to grade on the learning process and not mastery of material (unless you assign the homework to show mastery rather than practice). I'm not fully on the "no grades" train, but there are some assignments that I just look over (to see what they're getting and what they're not) and then recycle.

5. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jun 25, 2013

I think I bought papers home to grade once last year. And that's because I was gone with my extracurriculars I sponsor three days that week and was behind in grading.

I just don't bring them home because I hate to grade and I don't want to do it at home. I'll do anything else (work on lessons, etc) but not grade.

I just grade during my planning period.

6. pohkid

pohkid New Member

Jun 25, 2013

How about tests and exams? Do you grade them at school or home?

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2013

I usually grade on completion and do a quick check while students have silent reading time in the morning. Then I take the ones that had major issues and address it with the kids that day.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2013

I grade everything at school. When I take stuff home it just does not get done. I'd rather spend a 1/2 hour after school or during plan to get it done than take 100 papers home that I know I won't grade.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jun 25, 2013

I don't grade homework. It gets a "check" in my grade book if it's complete. If it's incomplete, it gets a zero.

I try to grade tests during lunch. If I don't get to them, I score them after school.

I send home a progress report about every three weeks.

10. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 25, 2013

I do not take work home. I also grade homework for completeness, and grade everything else on prep or at lunch. SOMETIMES I will take essays home to grade, but usually I do not.

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 25, 2013

Same here. I sometimes do it during my lunch break. I also have students help since they tend to love to doing it.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2013

I do home things at home and school things at school.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Fanatic

Jun 25, 2013

I usually grade most things at home. Essays sometimes need to be brought home and I'll spend part of Sunday grading.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2013

In a perfect world, I would leave all school work to school time...but it doesn't happen for me. I try to grade hw during lunch or prep when possible. But I often take things home. I do them after my son goes to bed generally.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 25, 2013

I took things home early in my career out of necessity. I did not have a classroom. There was no place for me to settle down.

Now I do most grading at school during the day, and I often go to school on Sunday afternoons after lunch. I don't generally take things home, but I do sometimes.

If I take things home, it is because I want to, not because I have to.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2013

I get almost all my grading done at school. Occasionally I bring it home but that´s normally when we are doing writing samples. Those things are so time consuming that it´s better to bring them home.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2013

I usually grade all assignments at school. I stay until 6pm one or two nights per week. Things I don't get done at school, I usually take to my PT job and grade on my breaks.
    I lack discipline at home ;)

18. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jun 25, 2013

I grade almost everything at home on weekends. I grade tests and quizzes (or anything else I'm really excited to see how students did) on the day it's turned in. I don't have a lot of time at school for grading and I don't mind grading at home.

I should work on getting more done at school, I know. I guess that could be one of my goals for the new year. (Even though I don't mind grading at home, I'm sure my husband would be very happy if I spent more of the weekends with him and not buried under school work, ha ha).

19. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Jun 25, 2013

School starts at 8; I show up at 6. I do much of my correcting then.
    I go into school every Saturday (I don't remember the last time I didn't) and work until everything is corrected and prepped.

I hate working at home, and I hate working in the evening. I am never awake past 9. I get up by 5 even in summertime. Even as a kid, I got up early (annoyingly so, parents and siblings have said, since I wake up sort of mid-sentence and blab on from there), so my method might not work for, well, normal people.

20. geoteacher

geoteacher Cohort

Jun 25, 2013

Rarely, but, as others have mentioned, I usually stay at school beyond the school day.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 25, 2013

It varies. First, I don't "grade" homework. Instead, I give a conduct grade if your homework has been turned in on time. I also put a check or minus in my gradebook, and the homework history goes into consideration if a child is borderline (one point from an A, etc.) at report card time.

As far as tests, quizzes, etc., I try to get them all graded at school, but it doesn't always work that way. I do work A LOT at home, but I get to school by 6:30 each morning, and generally leave no later than 4:00 each afternoon. I honestly don't mind doing work at home, but then again, I don't have any kiddos at home. :)