Teachers Desk

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cgibbs7, Aug 6, 2008.

1. cgibbs7

cgibbs7 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I went in my classroom today. I started doing some things and I am debating as to keeping the teachers desk or not. I am not one to sit down, so I think it will just be a waste of space. I am mainly up on my feet or at the reading table.

Do you use your desk?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

I'm not using mine this year- I am going to put some armchairs for our reading center there instead. I'm going to be SUPER organized in our cabinets, with plastic boxes up the wazoo! I will, however, have a front table. This is where I set my papers for the day, and my coffee mug, etc. It's not too large, and doesn't have a chair. It's just a catch-all table.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

I love my desk and nice comfortable chair. A place to sit before and after school. A special place to keep my things in and organized.

5. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I would be lost without my desk. I need somewhere to eat lunch and sit for a minute, and it locks some things should be locked up like my bag and some records.

6. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I couldn't decide what to do with my desk either. My principal wants every room to have a 'teacher's desk', so unfortunately I can't get rid of mine.

Like you, I am lucky if I sit at my desk for five minutes during the day. Usually, I am up walking around or at my reading table. To save space in my room, I decided to place the front of my desk against a wall (so I could still use it for storage) and place my reading table across from it. That way I can use one chair to go between the two. So far I really like it. It frees up a lot more space. It's definitely worth trying!

7. Grace

Grace Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I love my desk! At the end of the day it's nice to crash in my little area and take care of work there. It also helps keeps me organized!

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

Gotta have mine. My computer's on it and as much IEP paperwork as I have, I need it. But that's the only time I use it... computer related stuff.

9. I<3kiddos

I<3kiddos Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Unfortunately enough, I was told that in addition to my desk (which I use before and after school as well as to house a "safe zone" for things the kids do not need to have access to), I will also need to have a desk for my teaching assistant.

I am pretty upset because this is the smallest classroom I have had, and I have to add a desk to the necessary objects list. Does anyone else have to have a desk for their aide?

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

I didn't use one when I taught KDG but found I like having my space.

11. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I have the smallest desk in the school, and love it. It doesn't take up too much space and I recently got a comfy hand-me down chair. Now, usually it is covered in papers and books, but I do try to settle in at the end of the day and correct some work. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have some "me" space.

I do have a small desk for my EA, but it is also used as a quiet zone/testing area. It doesn't take too much room away from the classroom, but I am lucky enough to have a huge room!

12. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2008

I like having one. I use it before and after school when I have work to do. Plus I can keep my purse locked up in there or any other things I want safe. It usually gets full of papers and books throughout the day but it must be neat and clean before I leave for the day.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

My paras share a table and put their things (purse, etc.) in the closet or hang it up on a hook. At one time I had 3 paras... it was soooooo crowded. We didn't need THAT many big desks in there. Now I have 2 paras and the table works fine. :)

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2008

Yes, I use my desk. Generally only before or after school.
    If I sit during the day, I sit at a table up front.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 6, 2008

As an Aide, I do have my own desk. I originally even had a HUGE desk, the same size as the teachers. I downsized, on my own, and the next year my teacher downsized as well. Interestingly we BOTH loved my desk but it was not only the perfect size for me, with only a tiny drawer for holding pencils, but it was mine first. I hate to sound selfish but I loved that desk. Now I'm switching teachers and though I will still have a working space, the desk won't move with me.

I'm allowed to put my coat in the closet but I never do. I use my chair at my desk for that. I have a storage bin under my desk for holding my things. I have a 7 drawer storage cart next to my desk for housing my things as well. I have one out of the 20 bulletin board storage bags in the closet to put any bulletin board stuff I might have bought in it to keep it separate. I have a small section of the teacher book reference section of the classroom to hold any books I might have gathered or even to put notebooks full of things I've printed to store for future teaching. Everything else belongs to the teacher's space. Honestly, neither of us actually USE our desk to sit at. We use them for holding places. She has a literature sorter taking up most of her desk to hold her papers, a storage cube under it for portfolios and her desk drawers are deeper and full.

I could live without a desk but I would still want a space of my own in the classroom for several reasons. First, I do bring my own things sometimes to enhance spelling games, etc. Second, I need a place for my to-do lists and current projects. I don't want things to mix in with the teachers because I will not complete them if I don't see them and if they get mixed in, they have a potential of peices of the project becoming lost. We all know how hectic the classroom is and not everything gets done all at once. Often we work on multiple projects at varying paces. They shouldn't get in the way of the flow of the classroom or the organization of it. Having a space to lay it out helps me tremendously. Because I have a small desk though, it does help me to reorganize it weekly so I have space to lay things out again. Because I don't have permanent notes or many permanent projects, it isn't as hard to accomplish. Even Aides without their own desks have their own counter space, closet space and a little book or storage space.

16. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I am sure there is another thread on this topic somewhere! lol I am not going to use my desk this year. It will be my first year without one, but I hardly ever use it. I am always at my reading table when I am grading or planning because I can spread out. I have plenty of shelf space behind my table so I am not worried about clutter.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 6, 2008

I want to add though that the one unique thing about the classroom environment I've shared for the past 3 years is I've done most of the organizing and layout. That's leftover from my secretarial days. I can't do a full job, however, because I can't throw anything out but I have learned one important thing..don't work against your normal working style.

My teacher wanted to do away with her desk altogether but every time I tried to reorganize the room I notice something new about her organization habits. She needed that space as a holding space because she was not likely to put things up as she used them. It was great to have a smaller space, but not to get rid of it altogether. It was my suggestion to put the literature holder on her desk so that only papers, and sorted ones at that, can mostly fit on her desk along with very current projects. I noticed she hated filing but loved trays. Depending on where I put the tray greatly influenced how much she used it and how much she followed the organization of it (or used it as a dumping ground).

Working WITH your organizational personality is the first key. Figure out what that is, then you can go with that. For example, did you use your desk? If so, for what? Using a desk doesn't only imply asking if you SAT at it. If you used it for holding your things, why? Do you tend to put things most things back right away? If not, what things do you not tend to put back right away?

Here's another thing we worked out. (tip 101 tonight). I couldn't make her file her portfolio papers in a timely manner but I she did go through them periodically. So instead I knew she would accept and use a drawer system. I dumped things in Drawer A. She dumped things in Drawer B. She would look through Drawer A on a regular basis and dump it in Drawer B. Once she got ready to file it, she would have already at least looked at the peices and all of them are ready to file from Drawer B. Unless it was exceptionally on mark of what she was looking for, I tried to avoid interrupting her day each time I saw something I thought might belong in a portfolio (I do a lot of grading). She felt obligated to file when she looked at stuff so she put it off. Having a drawer dump it system, eased that and followed her organizational style. I also placed the drawers next to the grading area. Trays did not belong next to the grading area except the to be graded and already graded trays. That's why I chose drawers, not trays, or it would become a true dumping area instead of an organizational strategy.

Nifty huh!

18. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I debated about this on another post.

Bottom line? If I get rid of it I might never get it back. I don't want to go there!

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 7, 2008

I love having my desk, and my comfy chair. I keep my laptop on my desk, and it is my personal space. I also have a table I sit at most of the day, but when I need to retreat for some down time, I sit at my desk. It is also a privilege my kids can "buy" with their Bear Bucks-sit at my desk for the afternoon!!! They love it!

20. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 7, 2008

Today I asked the janitors to trade in my desk for a kidney-shaped table. That way I still have room for my stuff, and my lap-top, and I can put chairs around the outside so the kids can join me if they need my help, or if I need to work on small-group stuff. I found my desk was just always a huge catch-all mess anyways!

21. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

I also teach 1st grade and got rid of my desk. My room was so small, there was NO room for it if I wanted a class meeting place on the floor and a classroom library. I use the kidney shaped table instead. When I sit in the chair, my back is facing the corner. In the corner I have 2 bookshelves- 1 against each wall. This is where I keep all my curriculum books and guided reading books-- stuff my kids don't need to get to. On top of the shelves I have space to put random papers-- you know, all that stuff that buidls up before you know it! Before and after school I just sit at the kidney table with my laptop and work.

This arrangement has worked just fine. If you ask me, it is the only way to go in a small room!