Teacher with experience joining TFA?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SageScience, Sep 10, 2017.

1. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 10, 2017

Do you think that there's any point in a certified teacher with experience joining Teach For America (TFA) - especially if he / she lives in an area where there is no teacher shortage? Would there be any advantages to doing that other than networking? For those of you who feel negatively about the program, how would you feel about an experienced educator that went through a traditional teacher prep program joining?
    edited to say "Certified teachers can apply - https://www.teachforamerica.org/top-stories/am-i-eligible (4th question down)"

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Sep 10, 2017

I don't think you would be eligible to participate...

Why not just apply to the area/districts they are currently serving instead?

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 10, 2017

I was going to say the same thing as the pp...I'm pretty sure certified/experienced teachers aren't allowed to be in TFA. My understanding is that it's only for people who have a BA in something else who want to get their initial teaching certification.

5. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 10, 2017

NewTeacher2016 likes this.
  6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 11, 2017

From my experience it would be great. TfA tends to have a great preservice and inservice training program. A lot more work, but more benefit. And yes, if you ever want to move into the KIPP direction a TfA background wouldn't hurt.

The main limitations with TfA, from my experience, is sticking less trained teachers in more demanding classrooms.

SageScience likes this.
  7. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Sep 12, 2017

Definitely try it out, its a better option than being a long term sub.

SageScience likes this.
  8. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 12, 2017

Thanks. I am thinking about it as I apply for subbing positions. I never realized how difficult it is to get back into teaching once someone leaves the classroom.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2017

do you know if TFA places people where you'd be living? They don't look for placements near where you live. You pick areas by ranking.

10. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 12, 2017

The sooner an applicant applies, the more likely it is that he/she can choose his/her placement. This is what is on their website:
    I'll apply just in case. I'm also applying to subbing positions to see if I can at least get to meet principals, etc.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2017

The regions are like Buffalo, DC, etc. you can't pick specific places. They have their zones and you can pick those zones.

12. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Sep 13, 2017

TFA is closely associated with charter schools, so if that's the direction you want to go in, then it might be a good idea. But honestly, TFA is very controversial and I would really do research before signing up for it. There are very mixed reactions including people who really regret it. Just do your research.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2017

Typically they are completely untrained. This is no different than a teacher joining any other urban school.

Oh, and TFA is closely associated with urban public schools which charters are. The idea they don't significantly in public schools just isn't true. If they weren't in public schools the union wouldn't complain so much.

Just don't assume you are a shoe in for joining TFA. Their bread and butter candidates come from some of the highest caliber universities in the country. Granted, they have no idea what they're doing, but they still come from impressive backgrounds in many cases.

14. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 13, 2017

Some teachers go to Ivy League schools and have "impressive backgrounds".

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2017

Good for them. The majority go to general state colleges. Nothing wrong with that. It's not Harvard which sends to most out of any mid sized schools to TFA.