Teacher Use of iPad 2018

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Furrymom, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Furrymom

Furrymom Rookie

Nov 11, 2018

Hey!
    So I just bought a new iPad with the intention of using it for personal, as well as, professional reasons. One of the things I am hoping to use it for is note-taking during reading and writing conferences, tracking student data, and basic lesson planning (weekly overview). I really want to cut back on the amount of paper, notebooks, and binders I have to manage.
    Do any of you use the iPad with the Apple Pencil in the classroom for this purpose? If so, how is it working out?

3. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Nov 11, 2018

I use my ipad for apps to teach but it ended up being not super efficient for data. I have a Google sheet for that, which is easier to access on my laptop.

Originally I planned to use Noteability for data tracking and notes, but I have too many students and it was easier to see what I was doing with it on paper in a binder. However, I did use my ipad for math lessons for a while since we use Eureka and I didn't want to use the teacher book. Since I switched to using the Zearn small group lessons instead, it was easier to print them out and put them in a binder. Most of the technology use in my class now is either on my laptop (data, group planning, lesson plans, etc) or for the students on the class ipads (Seesaw, Zearn, etc.)

4. Furrymom

Furrymom Rookie

Nov 11, 2018

Thanks for the reply! How many students do you have? I have 51 students in total. I have seen some people using Good Notes and creating different notebooks within the app to store information. I was thinking that I would be able to create digital notebooks for each class.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 11, 2018

I have an iPad and Apple pencil, but I haven't used them in class. I took my older iPad to work when I bought my new one, I just use it for attendance or checking email when I'm away from my computer or laptop. Typically anytime I'm dealing with data, I'm at my regular computer anyway.

6. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Nov 11, 2018

I have 27 students. Notability does the same sort of thing with making separate journals but it just got to be a lot to organize and it was easier to have a binder for my brain. Plus now I have a coteacher so a data binder means easy access for both of us as needed.

7. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Nov 12, 2018

I have a junky smart board. I use my iPad and an old apple TV that I wasn't using anymore to present on my board instead of the computer. Works great! I also use it for emails, Google Docs, and take it to meetings. I do always have a bluetooth keyboard paired to it. I use an anker one I got for $20 on amazon.

I have 32-33 kids in all of my classes and my classroom is pretty small. I like that I can hand the kids the ipad to answer questions and stuff when needed.

8. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 13, 2018

I use my ipad (with pencil) to access Doceri (to be able to control my computer which is connected to my smartboard) and be able to be working with my students instead of tied to my computer to control whatever I have presented on the board.

I also use planbook.com (and the app that goes with it) for all of my lesson planning. I still print out a weekly plan page, but this makes it easier to adjust if we miss a day or a group doesn't get as far as I anticipate and have to push a lesson out a day.

9. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Nov 29, 2018

I have an iPad pro and pencil, I LOVE IT. I highly suggest the app called Notability, you can do folders and such + pair it with an app called "scanner pro" and it will save any paper as a PDF for you to store in Notability, where you can color categorize and even password protect folders & categories. You can store blank copies of forms, etc.