Teacher/Student Demographic Questions

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Hello.Mitra, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Mar 18, 2009

Hello Fourth Grade Teachers!

I am an Elementary Education major at the University of Central Florida and doing student teaching with a fourth grade class this semester. For one of my classes, I have to present a questionnaire to the teacher and students inquiring their demographics.

My main issue is how to appropriately ask students demographic questions without being too nosy.

My project suggests I ask questions like:
    Age, Ethnic background, Linguistic heritages, and exceptionalities.

However, I do not know how to ask these questions to fourth graders appropriately, and therefore eliminated everything but age. Currently my questionnaire asks:
    How old are you? What are your hobbies? What book(s) are you currently reading? What do your want to be when you grow up? How much do you know about using computers?

I would appreciate it if anyone could offer any additional or better questions (or suggestions) to ask to get a better feel of these students' demographics.

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 18, 2009

What are you going to do with this information? You may have a hard time quantifying or tallying info like what books are your reading? or how much do you know about computers?

What language is spoken most frequently in your home? (selection of languages)
    How many computers (tvs?)do you have in your home? (range)
    How many hours a day do you spend on the computer (tv) at home? (range of answers)
    Are you a member of an organized sports team?
    Which sport(s)? (list)
    How many brothers and sisters do you have? (ages??)

4. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Mar 18, 2009

I have to present a Poster Session about the classroom.

Thank you for waking me up to obvious questions, Lemon Head! These are far more suitable for fourth graders and not too probe-y.

I will be sure to incorporate these into my questionnaire.
    Thanks!

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 18, 2009

You are welcome. Just make sure you give them choices so you can work with the data. :) Good Luck!

You may want to throw pets in there, too. Something about exercise might be helpful.

6. jola

jola New Member

Mar 25, 2009

If you ask about brothers and sisters, be prepared for some wacky answers. A couple of years ago I had a student who didn't know how many brothers and sisters he had. Turns out everybody's ex was remarried to somebody else that had kids, and he honestly couldn't name them all.

Depending on the socioeconomic and cultural groups in your area, you could ask how many adults live in the same house. I always love to hear kids talk about their grandparents if they live with them because they have such close relationships.