Teacher sleeping during nap time?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Questions, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Questions

Questions Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

Hi there,

I was wondering how the directors feel about this.

I realize it may be the teachers break or lunch time, but it still seems strange to me.

Your thoughs?

Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 4, 2006

Strange? No. Negligent? Yes.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 4, 2006

If a teacher wants to sleep on his or her breaktime it needs to be done someplace else away from the children. Obviously if he/she is on break then there are other teachers to watch the children (or at least I would hope so!), but it would just appear very unprofessional to anyone who walked into the classroom during that time to see a teacher sleeping on the floor with the children.

I've had coworkers who have done this in the past when there was nothing else to do on their hour lunch break and they went to other parts of the building to take a nap.

5. Questions

Questions Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

Thanks for the great feedback so far.

I guess what I meant by strange was that, even if it was their break or lunch, it would suggest to me that they had come to work not adequately rested to do their job effectively. From what I understand she was actually sleeping - not just 'resting'.

This teacher has also (I heard it) used an angry voice when dealing with children who were fighting - which may be due to inadequate sleep (on all accounts ;) )

6. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Nov 4, 2006

My policy is that teachers are not allowed to take their breaks in classrooms. It is disruptive to the children and fellow teachers. And if I was doing a tour or a parent walked into the classroom, they do not know if that teacher is on their break or not. It just does not seem professional.

7. Twinhearts

Twinhearts New Member

Nov 4, 2006

Funny, I was thinking about this while I was on my break yesterday. I rest, not sleep by any means. but I wouldn't do it while I was in the classroom. I would find it strange if I saw a teacher sleeping in the classroom and agree teachers should sleep/rest on their break.

8. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 4, 2006

sleeping during naptime is pretty unprofessional on all accounts. I know a couple of teachers who have fallen asleep during naptime. Though, I am sure the directors don't know. should we tattle on them. They have never done this at a point where they affect the children but...I guess I feel that this is part of the director's job to be aware of the teachers' actions without us having to run tell on them. your opinions?

9. TanyaLynn

TanyaLynn Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

One of my two year olds can not be left on his own to go to sleep. Mom and I are trying to break him of it, but are still having troubles. It all stemmed from her laying with him all the time when he has a nap/goes to sleep for the night. I do most often lay down with my twos next to them until they go to sleep. I've never fallen asleep and don't try to. When they are all asleep, I will normally get up. I can't see how any teacher would be able to sleep during anytime, even naptime, as I would worry too much about the kids waking up and doing something they shouldn't be, especially two year olds!

My director has told us of one story where a teacer flat out fell asleep in a chair, in the infant room. She was immediately fired on spot.

10. Questions

Questions Rookie

Nov 5, 2006

This is something I'm curious to know. It was another teacher who told me. I had just walked in the room at the end of nap time and said jokingly "wouldn't it be nice to have a nap during the day..." and to my reply she said "______ did". Then out walked _______ obviously just waking (yawning and stretching). I got the feeling that the other teacher doesn't approve and hoped that I (as an outsider) would snitch. But, I too am not sure how to handle this. I don't want to alienate myself with the director or the teacher for that matter but I feeling strongly that I should mention it...just not sure how to best tell without seeming like a busy body.

How do you snitch in a constructive way? I don't feel it's my place to express my concern directly to the tired teacher.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2006

Wait....teachers should sleep on their breaks? Come on now!! Yes teaching can be physically demanding, emotionally exhausting, but if you need a nap, tell someone you don't feel well and go HOME!! Go to bed earlier, exercise, eat healthy....You'll feel better and not be so exhausted at school......napping at school? NO WAY.

12. TX122

TX122 Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

Well does it happen often? I mean things happen and stuf changes, a sick child at home or a new baby can effect sleep, and if was her break time and it was all hers not on the clock and away form everyone then I think se can do as she pleases. Maybe the morning tired her out. What happened that day? Were the kids especaily hyper that day or was there fighting betweent he kids?
    I am very understanding towards this bc my class is so bad that I feel like that some days like I jsut want to take a nap and start over.
    You cant always hold somethings against people.
    But if its a regular thing and her teaching meathod is always using a mad voice and yelling then I think she does need a GOOD talking to.

13. copperah

copperah New Member

Nov 6, 2006

never listen to gossip.

The director is the worst person you could get your story from they are back stabbing little witches.....never trust them they are nice to your face and stab you in the back once your back is turned.....the girl who got fired should fight to get her job back.I worked in a day care for 20 years and had some of the teachers fall asleep in the classes there were some health complications, but you don't just walk in a fire some one thats playing god with some ones livly hood and plaing god and no one has that right.

14. copperah

copperah New Member

Nov 6, 2006

YOU DON'T you'll be concidered the snich of the school!

don't say any thing you'll be call the snich of the school no one will talk to you for fear you'll go run to the director...take it from some one who had to deal with it.once you open your mouth and say some thing you'll never be trusted again

15. copperah

copperah New Member

Nov 6, 2006

Well i don't know were your all from but they sleep here in the schools i'm in they have couches and tv in the teachers lounge
    and if it it the teachers break they normally don't have a class they can turn off the lights in their room and lock the door if need be

16. copperah

copperah New Member

Nov 6, 2006

Not Negligent. Have you ever worked with 8 to 10 two year olds at once? don't condem till you have!