Teacher Sign In

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TrademarkTer, Sep 9, 2017.

1. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 10, 2017

I have to sign in and out with a fob every day. While it is required, I think the majority of teachers don't sign out.

Early in my career at a different school I had a principal print off these reports. She gave everyone their report for the past month or so with a letter telling us the percentage of times we were late and saying that a copy of that would be going in our file as an example of our professionalism. It came with a speech that if we worked in an hourly position many would be fired. Several decided to look at how much "overtime" they would work if we were going to compare it to an hourly position. I was over 40 hours of overtime. About 2 weeks late the principal had a staff meeting where she told us that her letter was meant as nothing more than a way to make us aware of our punctuality.

At the time, I was not great with attendance. I have worked at my current location 6 years and can count on one hand the number of times I have been late to this job. My issue back when I was late often was that I would have everything finished before I left the previous day. I might have been the last teacher to arrive on my hall, but since I was all ready I was often the only teacher in the hall monitoring and greeting students in the morning. I thought that should have counted for something.

2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

All posts like this tell me is tenure is abused and your principal was no different than a teacher with no management skills who threatens kids without follow through. It doesn't work on kids or adults and just ruins credibility. It should not only have gone in files, but should have negatively affected the evaluations.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 10, 2017

I've worked in a variety of environments. At one school, we had to go swipe our IDs under a bar code to sign in. We didn't have to sign out. At another school, we had to go to a computer at the front office to click and enter our password and sign in. I almost always got to school before the office was open and the secretary had turned the computer on, so I almost always forgot to sign in, or remembered late. I didn't think it was a big deal until I was struggling with classroom management (no shame, it was my first year teaching kindergarten in an environment very different from what I was used to) and my principal talked about how late I got to school each day and thought that could be an issue. She told me I should get to work earlier. I got to work at 6AM most days! Apparently, she was looking at what time I clocked in and not realizing I had been there for over an hour already. At my current school, we don't have to sign out or in, and when I asked about that the secretary looked at me like I was crazy! We do have a form we need to fill out if we leave campus during our planning, and there is a form we are supposed to fill out if we are late for work because of an emergency.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2017

My takeaway from this whole thread is as follows:

Everyone must agree with what some administrators choose to do at their own schools. Every school climate is identical, as are school faculties, facilities, school cultures, and staff needs. Zero percent of administrators would ever use certain information in a negative way or retaliate against a teacher using certain information as justification. If a teacher does not agree in part or in whole with literally every policy and procedure put into place at literally every school, that teacher is a crappy teacher, representative of the many and varied failings of teachers as individuals and of education in general across history. He is most definitely a complainer, has not a single care or concern for his students, is the laziest piece of crap teacher to have ever existed, and is definitely trying to hide something.

K.

TrademarkTer likes this.
  6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

More like they are downers who turn schools into negative places. They might be talented as educators but they are buzz kills.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2017

[​IMG]

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

You don't know what it's like to work with a teacher who makes those around them miserable? Children included. I can picture 5 right now who if I had kids I would demand they be placed in a different class.

9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Sep 10, 2017

You are a hoot, huh? You go from a teacher questioning a sign-in procedure to "I demand they not be in this teacher's class!!!!"

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2017

Of course I do. I don't think it's fair to say that teachers who disagree with some policies for legitimate reasons and teachers who make everyone around them miserable create a single overlapping circle.

I disagree with stuff from time to time, but I'm not a complainer at school. I'm a resourceful problem-solver. When I can't solve a problem because it's beyond my control, I accept it and move on. I think that the vast majority of my coworkers find me pleasant, friendly, and helpful. I suspect that approximately zero of them would say that I'm miserable or a complainer or someone they don't like to work with. You don't have to accept every detail of the status quo in order to be a happy, productive, effective teacher and coworker.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

Yes because those are the only teachers I've worked with that I could see myself having this same conversation with.

12. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 10, 2017

Since I work in a state where no one has tenure, I think you are being told the wrong things from my post.

MissCeliaB likes this.
  13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 10, 2017

Several years ago we had to sign in/out with our fingerprint on a machine. It was a district rule and not something my admins had any control over. They both repeatedly stated that they weren't "clock watchers." It definitely seemed a little "big brother" but we all knew that our admins weren't trying to use it in that manner, so it really wasn't a big deal. At my previous school my P would stand by the door in the mornings and write down what time people arrived, and then watch the cameras in the afternoon to see what time people left. Then she put the amount of "off contract time" we spent at school in our evaluations. I think everyone can guess how the morale was in that building. My current school got rid of the machines at the end of the first year we had them; I never heard what the exact reason was.

This year we're required to sign in/out if we leave the building during the contract day. This is again coming from the district, but we have new admins this year and it still makes people nervous because they aren't sure how that information might be being used. We have a ton of fast food places near the school and some teachers used to pick up something for lunch and bring it back on occasion or do things like run an errand or go get coffee during lunch or planning time. At this point, everyone is afraid to leave the building. The district has stated that it's for safety reasons so they know who is in the building if there is an emergency, but they aren't requiring us to sign in/out when we arrive and leave for the regular school day.

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

Oh then I'd immediately fire you for complaining about signing in.

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

Stop being paranoid and grab yourself a burger at lunch time.

16. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 10, 2017

I think there is maybe some perspective lost if that is an offense in which you would immediately fire someone. Punctuality is one of several elements that speak to professionalism. There is a lot that goes into being a good teacher though.

17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

It was a joke. You know like this thread going 13 pages deep... way to get passionate about the things that matter people. Talk about perspective...

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 11, 2017

We clock in and out on our computers. It takes only a few seconds. If we can't do it on our computers for some reason we just email the office staff. Our time sheets are based on this computer system so if we don't clock in/out we won't get a paycheck!