Teacher Nightmares

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bandnerdtx, Jun 17, 2012.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 17, 2012

The longer I teach, the fewer of these I have, but last night I had my first "teacher nightmare" for next school year.

It was the first day of classes and my room was TOTALLY unprepared! I didn't have the desks arranged in any kind of fashion, there were unpacked boxes everywhere... and the students were coming in to the room ready to get started. I remember thinking, I can't spend the first day setting up the room! I have to teach day one!!! It was horrible!

What's so weird about that is that I'm always the first person in the building to have my room ready. LOL. :)

I woke up with such anxiety!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2012

Tomorrows my last day for this year,,,I had a dream last night that I forgot to do report cards (which I'm doing today!)

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 17, 2012

I have had two school nightmares so far. One was about a training I was giving, and I had a shouting match with the principal. Usually my dreams are related to being unprepared by having not set up my room, having the wrong kids on day one, having lost materials, etc. I'm always on top of things, but those dreams come anyway. The funny part about the last one is that I woke up furious with the principal. I'm glad I didn't have to see him in real life that day.

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 17, 2012

So far I haven't had any teacher nightmares...and because I've said that I'm sure I will have one tonight:lol:

Not sure what causes these dreams, but they tend to happen closer to the beginning of the school year.

Anyhow, I always dream -

1. I missed a credit in high school and I have to go back, wear a uniform and take the class for an entire semester even though I am 28 years old and obviously not a HS student. It's always mortifying b/c EVERYONE knows I am an adult

2. I have the class or sometime just kid from Heck. (ie: screaming at me to STFU, making fun of me, cursing me out, telling the other kids not to listen to me, calling me ugly, punching me in the stomach, ganging up on me, etc) Finally I can't take it anymore and I start cursing back at the child(ren) and they get even MORE riled up that they've gotten a reaction out of me and they start in on me even HARDER. Sometimes I get physically aggressive, then I'm in the principal's office being yelled at for "losing my cool"

#2 is the weirdest because the worse I've had a kid do is NOWHERE near that and I've had great class management skills for the last 3 years.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2012

I'm writing reports today as well, czacza.

The only school "nightmare" I ever have is that I can't find my classroom--even though I know where it is, it isn't where it's supposed to be. This is a variation on a theme of my bad dreams--can't dial a phone number correctly, can't open a combination lock, can't find a room number, etc.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 17, 2012

I honestly don't have teacher dreams that often- if I do, I tend to dream that
    A) I have forgotten either my shoes or my pants. Other people talk about having "naked" dreams- I've never done that but I constantly have forgotten to wear pants or put on shoes, and then I am so mad at myself for not simply putting on pants before I left the house! I had this dream when I was younger and still in school too, so I don't think it has anything to do with teaching really- now my role is just different!

B) I'm trying to teach a lesson and the kids simply won't listen to me, and then I forget what I'm trying to teach. I've only had this one about 3-4 times, but the first was when I had very first started my job two years ago, and I dreamed that this happened while my mentor teacher was observing me. She then promptly told me I wasn't cut out for teaching and drove me to the mall so that I could find another job there!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 17, 2012

I've had plenty throughout my career!

In fact, it seems like I start having more and more as the school year approaches.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 17, 2012

I haven't had any yet this year but my worst was trying to give a standardized test to Pre-K kids in a big auditorium. Their parents wouldn't leave, 1/2 of them were crying-it was really scary!