Teacher needs advice 504 Denied and child has Visual Impairments and ADHD

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Kentucky, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2014

Am I understanding correctly that two teachers have changed your son's grades? That seems really...odd.

2. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 30, 2014

My GS is ADHD, and getting a 504 was so hard. Getting the teachers to adhere to the 504 is impossible.

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2014

I'm with you and I agree with you on all counts. I think you should see your lawyer. This teacher has a track record of not bring fair to your son. He needs the 504 and this might be the only way you are going to get it.
    1. You can make straight A's and need a 504. Having a visual impairment is reason enough for the 504 that includes preferential seating. His teacher has seen these episodes in class, so it obviously can and will affect his school work.
    2. His ADHD diagnosis should be enough to get him a 504 for extra time. It is clear that he has trouble finishing his tests. I think she can use a timer as a tool to keep him on track so he can try to finish in a certain amount of time, but he shouldn't be punished if he doesn't, especially when other children still have their tests.
    3. I don't know why she thinks changing his grades is a good idea. She's been caught doing it before for absolutely no reason. It is reasonable to believe she would do it again.
    4. If he was on home bound and the school agreed to his interventions them his tests should count. He should either be doing all tests when he returns or the tests he did on home bound count. I would not accept her redo response. Especially if it was months after he read the story he's supposed to be testing over.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Rookie

Mar 30, 2014

I viewed the grades as soon as I was told his school had them finalized and he had a 91. I questioned her twice and yes I have the emails and she said she had to put in the redo grade. She told me I would see redo on top of the page and to take an average of the old grade and the redo grade. THERE ARE NO REDOS! Not one reading grade with two scores. I look at the test grade on the paper and what he made and they are completely different. I remembered he had 2 95's and now there is 1. I printed out the reports. I have the email from the grade coordinator that said grades where done at 7 30 am. I have the email from her that says she wasn't done till 4. The grade coordinator gets confirmation from all teachers that grading is complete. So she went back and changed 2 grades that I know of. She names the test very specific and you can say without a doubt it is the test. This has happened with 2 different teachers! 2 teachers in the last 15 months and 9 different times on various grades. I am living crazy. I know a teacher advocacy as looked through all my documents and they said get an attorney.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

And you were a teacher yourself for 16 years?

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Rookie

Mar 30, 2014

YES 2 teachers!!! Do you all want me to post pictures?! I'm dead serious!!

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Rookie

Mar 30, 2014

I'm still in education but at the district office.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

pictures might be helpful. Because I am very confused and am having a hard time following the story.

If I were to allow a redo and averaged the first test score and the second, you wouldn't see both test scores in the online gradebook. You would just see the average.

And you said that the data manager actually CHANGED a grade in the teacher's gradebook? Is that even legal?

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

But were you an actual teacher? If so, what grade(s)?

10. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 30, 2014

Does it matter what grade? If she taught 7th somehow that will make a difference in the fact that she has documentation showing the game the teacher is playing and e-mails that contradict what is going on?

She has all of his test papers according to previous posts. Not one test paper says REDO.

Is it so hard to believe there might be a teacher out there that isn't on the level?

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

It matters to me.

I'm glad you can make sense out of these postings. I get lost rather easily so it is hard for me to tell if she actually has ALL of the tests. Not sure how anyone knows if they have ALL of anything though....

I absolutely do think that there are teachers out there that aren't on the level. Hard to believe that one particular student has two of them back-to-back that do the exact same thing. I also believe that there are posters on public message boards that aren't on the level. Especially when I cannot get straight answers from direct questions.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 30, 2014

Why does it matter what grade she taught?

It isn't as if her previous experience is going to change the fact that none of her child's tests say REDO on the top.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

Why does it matter that I ask? Maybe I'm just curious. Maybe I'm waiting for her answer to reply with my reasoning.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2014

You responded already and I hadn't yet read it, so I'm not sure why you're quoting and responding to my simple question again and getting a little upset. But maybe it provides a little clarity for me...

:unsure:

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 30, 2014

I think the OP might feel a little bashed by the doubters on her end.

My biggest suggestion I can make overall to you, Kentucky, is to get documentation of your kiddo's medical issues from the doctor. The school would probably need to at least implement a 504 and a Phase 2 Intervention at that point.

I don't suppose there are any alternatives to the current school and district in this conflict?

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 30, 2014

Cat, what do you mean by a Phase 2 Intervention?

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

FTR, schools don't HAVE TO give a 504 just because there is medical documentation of a disability.

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

They don't HAVE to, but if there's documentation of visual impairment requiring preferential seating, I cannot possibly imagine a reason they would decide not to give one.

19. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

I totally agree. And I can't imagine a teacher not wanting to have a student sit up close even without official documentation or a 504. Barring any behavior issues, of course. That is such an easy thing to do.

20. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

Seriously... I have three kiddos in my room that parents insist have fine eyesight, but are always giving me "I have trouble seeing" signs. They aren't the "faking it" types of kids, and they aren't behavior issues, so they sit in the groups closest to the board. Easy fix, everybody is happy, kids are getting what they need, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.