Teacher discounts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by poodlecap, Apr 8, 2018.

1. poodlecap

poodlecap New Member

Apr 8, 2018

looking primarily for online educational sites that provide discount or free services for teacher. Appreciate any help.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2018

As far as discounts...do you mean supplies? Most all websites are free..

esl handwriting wizard is good for making worksheets. A fellow atoz teacher told me about that one. This site is full of free ideas for teachers!!

Office Max/Office Depot, Staples, Micheal’s, JoAnn Fabrics and Barnes & Noble all offer teacher discount cards. Lakeshore Learning Materials has good things such as worksheets, classroom planers. Also offers Continuing Ed units and free lids workshops. Of course they have teacher discount for store & online.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 9, 2018

Barnes & Noble offers a discount card good for teaching-related books. Don't know about games or other resources.

5. poodlecap

poodlecap New Member

Apr 12, 2018

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking more along the lines of educational sites like ABCmouse, which is free for teachers. Thank you.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2018

Starfall and PBSkids

7. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 14, 2018

B & N discount applies to anything in the store. :)

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2018

They told me it's only certain books. o_O

9. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 14, 2018

So weird! I have always been allowed to use it on jigsaw puzzles, books for myself, even board games. Maybe it depends on the individual store policy? Hmm

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2018

Yeah, I tried to order some college textbooks and they said no deal. Said it was only for 'teaching materials'. I've asked about some other books, and I got, "Well, I'll give it to you this time."

Personally, I started carrying my ID around and asking everywhere. If I can't get a senior discount, can I get a teacher discount? :p

11. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 14, 2018

I see this on the terms of use for the card. It specifically mentions textbooks, maybe that is why.

"Educator discounts are not available on the purchase of any of the following: Café items; Music; DVDs; Blu-ray Discs; Gift Cards; eGift cards; periodicals; textbooks; digital content (including but not limited to eBooks, digital magazines, and periodicals); NOOK® or NOOK related accessories; other hardware and electronics; software; Rosetta Stone product; downloadable audiobooks in MP3 or any other format; products or services provided online at BN.com via the Barnes&Noble.com Affiliate Network of Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Inc (including without limitation PC & Video Games or used, rare and out-of-print books); gift-wrapping fees; shipping or handling fees; Barnes & Noble Membership fees (new or renewal); or any printing costs associated with the Barnes & Noble Print Books on Demand Service. Educator discounts are also not available on purchases at any Barnes & Noble College Bookstores or websites."

12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Apr 14, 2018

Yeah I carry my badge everywhere now because I've gone shopping before unplanned and ended up somewhere that offered teacher discounts but I didn't have my ID on me. So now it goes into whatever bag my wallet goes into.
    (Like Francesca's. Which is not teaching related but still ..)

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2018

Look outside the box poodlecap....

Our museums give free or discounted admission to teachers. :) Along with free admission, most of these museums offer teacher programs - such as continuing ed. units, bulk materials for the classroom, free printouts for all age groups, curriculum resources for teachers.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 15, 2018

On the Goodreads site, you can enter for free giveaways for your library. Just choose the children's book selection and enter away. I received three books last week. They ask you to leave a review for each, but you don't have to.