Teacher conflicts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by midmath, Mar 13, 2018.

1. midmath

midmath New Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Mar 13, 2018

I am a first year middle school math teacher. I work in a small school. One of the veteran specials teachers was sent to me earlier in the year for classroom management tips for a "tough" class. They've had this reputation for years. I've been observed with them and have had good observations but they can get out of hand (as most can with a novice teacher). I can typically reel them back in though. The specials teacher has this class between my two periodswith them once a week. This week she told them that they will not behave as they do in my class in hers and she will not let them get away with things like I do. Two of my students were very upset by the comment as well as how she disciplines them and told me about it afterwards. When this teacher is in my room, she stirs my students up which results in a consequence in my class. How do you handle other teachers negative comments about you... especially to students?
  3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 10, 2010
    Mar 13, 2018

ignore them. You can't change her. If you try, it probably won't work out in your favor since she has seniority.

I have some strong opinions about how some of my colleagues handle their classes. I'm sure they have about mine as well.
    Leaborb192 and Been There like this.
  4. TeacherNirvana

TeacherNirvana Rookie

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:51 PM

My suggestion is that you continue to grow in your craft (which includes classroom management). Unfortunately, college coursework and teacher prep programs really don't prepare you for the real world. They always speak in terms of the ideal scenario, but you and I both know that's not how the classroom works because it's filled with humans. Humans can be messy.

Honestly, I wish I knew what I know now, in terms of classroom management, that took me 10 years to learn. It takes time for you to come into your own in that regard. Give yourself time and take those comments with a grain of salt.

I'm pretty sure that the teacher making the negative comments wasn't on the level they currently are on during her first year. Sometimes, veteran teachers forget that the learning curve is steep for new teachers. Just take a deep breath. Keep your head up. Be willing to grow and teach on!

This advice is coming not only from a veteran teacher, but from someone who used to be an administrator. I've dealt with many new teachers and give them the same advice. I've also seen them grow into awesome teachers. This negativity is part of the cause of teacher burnout and needs to be stopped. I agree with 2ndTimeAround; ignoring it takes the audience away (and thus removes the power of the comment).
    Been There likes this.