Teacher burn-out is out of control. :(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Oct 2, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 2, 2012

I just learned today that one member of my team is currently looking for a new job. Another member said that she is done after this year. Both are in their 3rd year of teaching.

The morale is so low at my school, and we've only just begun week 5! I'm doing ok, but it's sad to hear that so many people are miserable. :( The pressure of testing, merit pay, constantly analyzing data, and implementing the CCSS and RtI are really taking a toll on so many teachers. I really hope the pressure doesn't get to me this year.

Is anyone else seeing similar problems in their school/district?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2012

I just know one special ed teacher resigned this past Friday & she said 80% of it is due to the way this one high profile kid's parents have been. She said it's too stressful & she (already) has high blood pressure. The P was not happy. I work with this same kid too for speech. Now, he's one of the ones I wish I didn't have to work with, but what can you do!

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2012

I'm burning out myself (but we only have 2 months of school left). We have a week off next week which I'm looking forward to eagerly. I'm not so burned out I'll quit! Just looking forward to the end of the year:)

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 3, 2012

People are unhappy with our district, but everyone that works at our school is extremely satisfied and happy. =]

However at my previous school, burn-out was a problem as well. My cooperating teacher was in his 2nd year, and he's already looking for something else to do.

I philosophy is that the job doesn't have to be stressful, but you've got to find the right way to do it, so I've been reading up on books to increase my mastery in teaching and make it as stressless as possible.

Still, I am doing things inefficiently and it is my first year so I am freaking out everyday. Having caught something isn't making it better, especially since I just took a sick day for a doctor's appointment and I don't want to use them all up at the beginning.

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

Being a mid-life career changer, it's easier for me to see the grass isn't any greener on the other side. ANY job will have various amounts of stress, lazy coworkers, gossips, snitches, unfair situations and bosses who look for people to blame instead of reasons to praise.

I've been licensed for 3 years and just got my first, full-time position this year. My school has it's share of headaches and problems and things I wish were different, but it also has lots of advantages as well. It's all a matter of perspective. I agree with many of the complaints teachers have about their job, but I know I've heard most of those same complaints in every job I've had. So I listen to what my team members say, I take instructions and directives from the P in stride, whether I agree with them or not, and I don't let the day-to-day stuff stress me out. I just work on improving my teaching methods and reaching as many kids as I can. The rest of the stuff really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

I understand why many teachers DO get burned out, but I fear they will find many of the same frustrations in other jobs they take. At least with teaching, we DO have a chance to change the future for the kids we teach - and that is what keeps me going every day.

7. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Oct 3, 2012

I 100% agree.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

I don't see too much burn out in my school. Most teachers are very happy. Of course we're faced with the paperwork, parents, unmotivated students, etc; but generally speaking, we have a good group of kiddos. I do know in my previous district, there is a lot of burnout because they are putting so much pressure on the teachers.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 3, 2012

I'm straddling the chance of burnout after five years of teaching, but I'm in this for the long haul. Fortunately, my school offers a number of ways to take a break from day-to-day teaching to work in administration. If you want to return to teaching, they're thrilled to send you back to your students. I started teaching full-time when I was 35, so I have a long way to go to put in my retirement time. Relieved I have a number of options to get there without losing my mind.

10. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Oct 3, 2012

It'd be interesting to be able to analyze the data on burnout in teachers based on what type of district they work in. Attrition is much higher in severely low income, high ESL, and/or gang violence schools.

I've worked in both types, with most of my career being spent in the type of school described above. In that school, 10-15% turnout was typical every year (by my 4th year, I was considered an "old hand"). It's been maybe even a little worse the last few years. Last year, 11 out of 50-some odd teachers left for other schools in the district or for other jobs entirely. Two others that I know of explored the idea of other work, but didn't find anything they were ready to jump ship for.

11. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Oct 3, 2012

I can't tell if it's teacher burnout or if it's just pregnancy symptoms, but I'm feeling worn out, like I'm pulled ten directions, I'm frustrated sooner and quicker... Of course it's not something I show, but sometimes I wonder if it's the teaching, or just my current state.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

Okay, I am going to share a very massive brain blip I just had, though I should probably keep it to myself! I knew you are not in the U.S...but when you said you only have two months of school left, my first question was, "What month is it where you're at?" Wow. :haha:

To the OP, it doesn't surprise me but it does make me sad. It's very frustrating. I'm on year seven and so much has changed in that time.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

I think the seasons are opposite down where she is so she is having her "summer" break when we have our winter break?

I for one can't wait until Thanksgiving break which will be for 4 days. Teachers in my school get burned out a lot quicker because we have mandatory summer school and don't get as much off time as other teachers.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

Duuude, there are SOOO many cranky teachers at the school I work at. They are even more cranky than last year due to some big changes such as furlough days and increased class sizes.

I teach in an afterschool program and I gotta say I love this job way more than being a normal teacher. If I want something for an art or cooking project, my director will get it for me and in my classroom the next day. I plan all activities (for me and for my teammates) and I love that freedom. Each week we have a fun theme. I'm in no rush to get back into the classroom.

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2012

:lol::lol: Good one!

Since we're near the equator we don't really have seasons. We're in "rainy" right now, but it's the freaking driest rainy season ever!!! But yes, our "summer" break is Dec-Feb:)

16. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Oct 3, 2012

IDK that we're feeling burned out, but we're definately feeling frazzled. We're planning and getting things mapped out for common core, which my district will switch to next year. We don't get any additional time to do this, so it's like we have the regular day-to-day stuff plus common core. Today, 45 minutes was wasted on a reward extra recess, a program, etc. Things like that really get on my nerves and make me feel even farther behind. :mad: My family calls me the enemy of fun. :rolleyes:

I'm kind of having early burn out because there's a job I know of that I would have probably pursued had it opened up during the summer, more moolah and less stress. It's kind of like I'm wondering if the grass would be greener on the other side. Oh, well. I'm not breaking my contract, so I guess I'll never know, *sigh*

Beth

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 3, 2012

Definitely had an extended facepalm moment this evening, which leads to burnout if repeated. Found out a student is lying to me to the point that her pants may just be on fire. Had to turn her in to Truancy so I didn't have to call her at home and tell her how well documented her lying to me really is.

The thing about teaching online is that it's always THERE. I'm always just a few steps away from my home office. My students call in the middle of the night, so I had to permanently turn off the ringer. I don't think I've ever made a 90% pass rate and I'm probably the easiest grader in my grade level. Because my students are physically in front of me, they can ignore me, but I'm still accountable for them.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2012

Two teachers already quit at my school. Everyone is about at breaking point. I came home and slept from 6:30pm til 4am last night.

Something has got to give in my district.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 3, 2012

My district has a very low teacher turnover rate (actually, I think it's non-existent). BUT...that doesn't mean we're not worn out! As far as my grade-level team is concerned--we work our tails off and we're always tired! We've definitely seen great results since school started seven weeks ago, though, so I'm feelin' like our hard work is paying off!

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2012

I'm drudging through a rigorous grad program & a new job. I'm only on year 2 for each. I switched gears from (a very brief time of) special ed teaching to this field (SLP) & I sure hope I don't start getting burned out before I really know what I'm doing on this new job. :mellow:

No, I think that once I really know the job well, it will almost feel like smooth sailing because I would have been out of school. Most of my adult life, I've been in school & worked at the same time.

21. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 6, 2012

My questions to those citing significant burnout:
    1) Is yours a district that has suffered significant layoffs (in the last few years)?

2) What income level is your school (because I would guess that it's higher in lower income areas than the suburbs)?

For people looking for work, it's amazing how people up and quit 3 years into their supposed career. I wonder what these people think is out there for them? Another career? It's very tough for ALL out there, and certainly whatever career a (previous) teacher thinks she can get into, there are undoubtedly candidates who have already been in that profession (who aren't trying to jump in mid-stream). Another teaching job? If you can't handle it there, it's very likely that you can't handle it somewhere else. hashtag Quitting.