Teacher Brochure

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by laceyk8, Jun 25, 2015.

1. laceyk8

laceyk8 Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

I am planning on creating a teacher brochure to take to interviews. (Thanks to the suggestions of wonderful teachers on these forums) I will be a first year teacher so I don't have any photos to include, so instead I was going to include quotes about me from students, supervisors, etc. I'm wondering what would be the proper way to quote them, especially the students, since normally you aren't supposed to use their personal info. Should I just put student? Or would using just their first name be acceptable?

Also, what should I include in the brochure, I'm trying to make sure it isn't too similar to my resume and portfolio.

3. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

Do you have any pictures you could put at all? From student teaching or subbing, or you could even just make something so the brochure is more visually appealing.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 25, 2015

I would put their grade (eg. "blah blah blah" -Fifth Grader)

5. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 25, 2015

I would put first name & grade or first initial, last name & grade

6. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 25, 2015

Here is an idea that has gotten rave reviews from admin- make an infographic about yourself. Go to easel.ly

7. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 26, 2015

looks cool - but I can't imagine what kind of info to put on there -don't have any graphs,etc

8. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

Re: infographic, do you suggest using one of the templates? If so, which one? Can you give some specifics of info or strategies you have seen or heard about?

These look really neat!

9. tiki421

tiki421 New Member

Jul 4, 2015

Ahodge79- what did you put in your infograph? I am interested in doing this.. but not sure what I would put in it

10. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 4, 2015

^^^^
    Ditto to the above on infograph.

11. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jul 6, 2015

I put in my degrees, credential, years of experience (with that title but using little people to signify the years), volunteer positions (using a symbol to represent each position). I didn't use any of my "own" graphics. I used their graphic of a person and a speaking bubble to put in a quote from letter of rec. They have a lot to use or you can find lots online to upload. I made kind of a tree chart of a teaching philosophy (just bullet points). Like "children" as the header and then subhead "have" "can" "need" and then words under that (based on thinking maps) Contact info on top. I think I did start with a template, but changed it a lot.

I tried to put in a picture
    let me see if this works...
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69ZGBzoO1vDMnlKNlF4ZHQ3aTJFUllsNEtCNlprdS1ZVGtF/view?usp=sharing

12. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 12, 2015

As creative and amazing as you think the idea is, I have been interviewing for a few years. I have interviewed for 30 minutes and came out seeing another interview candidate waiting. A lot of times interview panels don't care about brochures or portfolios because of time restraints. I guess it can't hurt if you pass it out after an interview, though. Just make sure it is flawless.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2015

The secret to having test scores, brochures, or portfolios make an impact in interviews is to actually use them when answering questions. I have been in interviews with round robin questions and my answer using photos or results would often prompt another interviewer to ask an "off-list" question and the interview becomes a conversation. A couple hours later, I get a job offer.

14. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 12, 2015

I did use my portfolio to back up questions to my last interview and it made me feel more comfortable. However, they never asked to see it. I feel like it didn't make a difference one way or another. I still got the job. Guess it can't hurt.