Teacher Birthdays

Discussion in 'General Education' started by who me, Jul 24, 2007.

1. who me

who me Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Do you do anything to celebrate staff birthdays?

I was wondering if any schools celebrate the birthdays of staff members in anyway special.

At my school we had "birthday angels" but than was quite some time ago. The "angel" got a card and passed it around for all to sign and a small token gift.

In recent years, the birthday people of the month are honored on one day collectively with a sheet cake shared by all in the faculty room during the lunch periods.

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

They don't do anything special at my school. It's probably for the best though, since I certainly don't need to be eating more sweets!

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

At my school, the birthday person brings in treats for the staff. Sometimes, if it's a "big" birthday, that person's team will do something like decorate the room or bring a cake to team or something.

5. divey

divey Companion

Jul 24, 2007

We have a "Sunshine Committee" at our school that brings in doughnuts once a month to celebrate staff birthdays. It's always a nice surprise when they're in the lounge on a Friday morning!

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 24, 2007

We have a birthday chart person. She makes a chart and post it in the teachers faculty room. We each take a turn and bake a cake for someone and someone bakes a cake for us on our birthday. This includes teachers, janitors, secretaries, paras, TAs, and etc.

We also have secret pals, only who wants to sign up and have fun. Your secret pal has a five dollar or so gift for you. Teachers have treats for their students.

7. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 24, 2007

The person who had the previous birthday brings in a card for everyone to sign and some kind of treat (could be cake, ice cream, a pizza for lunch...). Then it's that person's turn to do the next person's birthday. (If you have the first birthday of the year... say Sept. 6, then the person with the last birthday does yours.)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

We have a list of staff bdays. Usually a teacher's grade level team will bring them out to lunch. Also every few months we have a birthday breakfast where the bday people fro those months bring breakfast. (Sept Oct bdays do breakfast in October....and so on...) :party:

9. BevAnn

BevAnn Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Birthdays are posted on a cute bulletin board in the office and are announced on the PA system at my school. The principal also buys lunch for all the staff members who have a birthday on that particular month. In May she buys for that month and those that have summer birthdays. :hugs:

10. yoda

yoda Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

We have a carry-in luncheon or breakfast monthly to celebrate b-days. We just sign up for a month to bring goodies in.

11. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Jul 24, 2007

We have something called "Birthday Buddies." We have two faculty meetings a month. During one of the meetings a group of assigned teachers and staff bring treats for the whole faculty and we celebrate all birthdays for the month. Everyone usually goes all out and the treats are really good. We might have loaded baked potatoes, salads, sandwiches, pizza, snowcones, sweets, tacos, almost anything you can think of. Faculty meetings aren't so bad when you have good food to eat during it. :)

12. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

We don't do anything-zip-nada-zilch! It would be nice to do something monthly. I love my school, but it would be nice if the admin would pay some attention to little things like that; it does a lot for morale.

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 24, 2007

If it's someone's birthday, they make a little happy birthday note on the whiteboard in the staff lounge. Nothing else, but I always try to pass on a happy word of congrats!

14. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Jul 24, 2007

We who have the birthdays in that month make a breakfast buffet for the rest of the staff who participate. They, in turn, will make a breakfast buffet for all with whoever is in their month. It is all voluntary.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

We do something called "Birthday Bagels" each month. Usually on the last Friday morning of the month, one team of grade level, special area, etc staff members work together to put a bagel breakfast complete with juice, coffee, and pastries. We also have a member of our Social Committee who takes care of changing the staff birthday bulletin board each month:) (and we celebrate all summer bdays in June!)

16. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

We didn't do anything as a school, but my grade level team celebrated each other's birthdays! There were 5 of us kinder teachers and on each birthday we'd walk our students over to the b-day person's classroom & we'd all sing Happy Birthday and we'd get each other little gifts to use in the classroom (stickers, pens, stamps, etc.) - the kids loved celebrating & guessing our ages! And it was fun for us too!

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

We have birthday pals. At the beginning of the year, we each pick a paper which gives someone's birthday, favorite cake or treat, favorite flower. On their birthday, the pal brings in cake for all, flowers, a card from the group, and may bring in table decorations. Sometimes people bring in a stuffed animal or other small gift, too. Summer birthdays are celebrated whenever the pal wants to surprise the birthday person.

We get donuts several days a week from the principal, and fruit at least one day a week, too. Yes, we eat too much. :rolleyes:

18. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

At my last school, we did things as a team and as a school. As a team, we all would name our favorite dessert and one of the other people on our team would make it and we'd share it with each other at lunch. Also, our celebration committee would pick one day a month to do a "birthday breakfast" and make or bring in all kinds of breakfast foods in honor of all the birthdays that month.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 25, 2007

Our social committe provides a cake on the 1st Monday of the month to celebrate all birthdays that month. There's a list of people who have their birthday that month.

20. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 6, 2007

Celebrating staff birthdays

At the beginning of the year we fill out a slip with our birthday, if it falls in the summer you choose an alternate day, some use their anniversary or other significant date and list a few of our favorite treats: kind of cake, pie, cookie, fruits, bagels, etc. We then draw names. When it's your turn, you can choose from the list of ideas or bring whatever you want to. You bring enough for the staff (we're small in number). Can be store bought or homemade. No one spends a fortune. You set it up before school, when that person arrives, as many as can gather and sing Happy B-day to her, she gets a card that's been signed by all, she cuts the cake or whatever, we all get our serving and off we go to begin our day!
    We used to do secret pals but found that some go overboard while some do very little, & some forget entirely which is rather sad. Anyway, now we keep it simple. One staff member keeps a list of dates & whose name we have. If someone does forget or ends up absent that day, someone from the office makes a quick trip to the store or bakery. :2up: