Tax question; marriage, student loans, dependents...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by shoreline02, Aug 12, 2018.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 12, 2018

Hello! I'm currently paying my loans under the Public Works Loan Forgiveness and I'm on an income driven repayment plan. I know that if I get married, in order to keep my payments low, we'd have to file our taxes separately or else my income driven plan would go way up.

Question - if we have a child, who should claim the child? I'm not sure how that works??

Any thoughts, suggestions, or banter welcome! : )

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 12, 2018

I know some divorced couples who alternate claiming the child. Not sure if your situation would be similar, or if it would be better for you to claim it. Ask a tax professional.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 15, 2018

Don't know about your question, but thanks for saying the name of how you're paying your loan. That won't work for me at this time. I have a student loan I still have to pay, but it's still with Navient. Between my high rent that keeps increasing annually, other regular bills, and saving up for some big things, I don't know how this loan will be paid down. What are other payoff programs out there? Also feel free to PM me if you have any more loan payoff info.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018