tattling

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teacherfan, Dec 9, 2007.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 15, 2008

I ask if it has to do with blood, vomit, or is someone hurt? otherwise sit down.

2. nytwinbee

nytwinbee Rookie

Feb 23, 2008

a police officer in the class?

I make sure I teach my students to work out their problems first, and unless the other person is not listening then they need to bring it to my attention.

When a student tries to tattle on someone else, I ask:
    "Are you a police officer?"
    When they answer "NO"
    Then I tell them
    "Then you don't need to report what someone else is doing."
    It works like a charm.

I also find that they have more to say right after lunch, and I made a policy that they cannot tell me anything as we return to our classroom, but I promise to listen to them when we are inside our classroom. I have kids who sometimes even cry as we walk upstairs, but I want them to know that we work our problems out inside our class and not in the hallways. Right before we start our afternoon, I give them about 5 minutes to share what happened at lunch, both good and bad.

First they start telling me if someone did something to them, or if they got in trouble because of someone else. I listen, and we all try to work out the problems as a class. Then my favorite part, I ask who has something good to share, and I give them examples, of good things, even little things as when someone shares a snack with them. The kids love to share what they ate, when someone lends them a toy, etc.

Then we move on to serious work, and we don't talk about it anymore. I feel that even though we use up 5 minutes of instructional time, it actually helps them refocus and get back to work faster. I like students getting things off their chest. They also have the need for people to listen to them, and that is the time that I listen to the details of their lives. I believe it has helped minimize the tattling for the rest of the day.

3. MissE

MissE Rookie

Feb 26, 2008

There's a really great book about tattling. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it already...It's called A Bad Case of the Tattle Tongue. It has five rules for tattling...I read it to my kids and posted the rules and it has really helped. Anytime they come to me to tattle. I simply tell them to go check the rules first...Usually they don't come back! I can't remember the author. But I bought it on Amazon.com:)

4. LoveLY Teacher

LoveLY Teacher New Member

Jun 20, 2009

A teacher I know calls it "The Three B's" (dont interrupt unless you have a BROKEN body part, you are BARFING, or there is BLOOD involved).

5. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

When I taught kinder I used to say "Is someone hurting you?" No.
    "Is someone hurting someone else?"
    No.
    "Is someone destroying something that belongs to you or the school?"
    No.
    "Then I do not need to know."

I love the idea of the tattling form. I am adding that to my list of things I'm going to do in my 2nd grade class. I'm going to make a form, and a bag for them to go in and if they want to tattle they will have to fill out the form. I will review them from time to time to make sure there's nothing I need to address. As I am going to be responsible for teaching reading and writing, I hope this will be a good thing for those that wish to tattle. I also loved the idea of the ear.

The vice principal at our school said when he taught 2nd he had the 3 p's rule in his room. It had to be "puke, pee, or poop" for them to bother him about it.