Talking

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by sophie1, Sep 11, 2008.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Sep 11, 2008

My students are great!! BUT, they are talkers. What are some strategies you use? Thanks!

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2008

Ugh- I totally understand. I havetried a bunch of things. The best thing I ever did was to buy myself a chime that I use to signal that I need quiet. We practice over and over... when the chime rings it means stop, look and listen.
    We also talk about why it is important to quiet and make a chart that we post with all of the things thatare expected. This helps them grasp why they need to work quietly.
    I havealso begun to make sure I wait for quiet before I begin speaking. It's hard but pays off in the long run.

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 11, 2008

magic wand or "magic" paragraph writing

I use a "magic quiet wand" that I got at a 2nd grade teacher conference in my state (SDE hosted it). I tap it on a desk and they get quiet. It makes a nice transition between activities. I have also found that it helps if I focus on a row that is ready ("I see the back row is all ready to listen..."), or speak more softly myself, often giving a simple direction in a very soft voice just to see who can hear me. For chronic "offenders" :eek:hmy: I have them stay in at recess to write a paragraph about listening/taking turns talking/good manners/etc. I require a main idea sentence and 3 (first time) to 5 (repeats) supporting detail sentences. These get stamped sign/return and go home. I rarely have further issues...

5. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Sep 12, 2008

Class rules/responsible thinking

Two of our class rules are
    -We listen to everyone.
    -We study in silence.

The kids created these rules because they thought it would help them to learn better. I remind them to respect each other's learning when they get chatty. After two warnings, chronic talkers fill out a responsible thinking sheet that says what they did, what rule they broke, and how they will improve. The student, his parent, and I all sign it. It definitely reminds all the other students the importance of remaining quiet.

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

Mine just don't talk. They talk its name on the board. They talk again get up etc. without asking its a write up. After that if they receive three writeup from any teacher its ISS. Its works this is 5th-8th. All teachers have to follow this rule and the children do not talk back it doesn't give them the chance. It is great :)

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 12, 2008

Another point of view is that some kids learn better by talking about it. The danger is that the talk never gets to the work and instead it is just social hour. However... we did a learning style inventory in our class and found that some of the kids were stronger learners when discussing things. For those kids, it is important to give them a space to talk while they work.

Another idea is to get some of those old fashioned headphones and have the chronic offenders wear those while they must be quiet. It is a good reminder and works if used for short periods where silence is a must. OR the headphones can be offered to those who can't stand any talking in the room while they work.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 13, 2008

I let my kids talk during certain lessons, activities, etc. However, they need to be quite during some lessons as well... for example, handwriting, journal writing (writer's workshop), reading, etc.

During quiet writing or handwriting times I play classical music. I say, "when the music is on, the voices go off." It works well.

During whole class lessons we are still working hard on raising hands, but they are doing much better!

9. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

Thank you everyone! I will take something from all of you.

10. crayoncaper

crayoncaper Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

I alllow five minutes at the end of class for students to discuss with me. We do this by raising our hands, so it is respectful to others. I tried something new last week because my plan was not working too well. Their name is a warning, a first check gives them a second chance, the second one takes 5 minutes of recess, the third takes all of recess and a note is sent home in their planner, and the fourth means all of recess is taken away, a note home in the planner, and they have to fill out a behavior sheet that the parents need to sign. I only had one on Friday staying in. I do this with my homeroom, because I have block schedules. The other classes I give verbal warnings, or say CLASS and they say YES and I begin speaking right away because their voices are directed towards me. If I have to give two verbal warnings, they lose five minutes of recess.

11. storyh

storyh Companion

Sep 14, 2008

I am having the same issues. I LOVE the classical music idea. I will have to try it.

12. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Dec 1, 2008

I have a bright yellow sign that says "Quiet Zone." It looks kind of like a road sign. When the kids are working on quiet, independent work, I put it up on the board. When Quiet Zone is up, it means no talking, and the visual reminder seems to really help. I just point to the sign, and they know what I mean. It's a great way for the kids to know the difference between quiet time and group time.

This is my third year teaching, and I have really come a long way on the talking thing. When I first began, I thought it was important for kids to be able to work things out together. However, the longer I've been doing it, I realize that there is also value in independent work. Now I have a healthy mix of both.

13. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 4, 2008

wow this was a really helpful thread because i have the same problem. second graders are so chatty!! sometimes it makes me want to scream!!!!

anyhow, here's my suggestion: i was never able to perfect this like my former school's teacher, but she did hand signals. The only one I remember was "the one position" which means to sit up nice and tall and fold your hands. it worked well for her and I still us that one. I hold up my pointer finger in the air and go, "One position boys and girls"