talk to me about ipods

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sevenplus, Mar 25, 2009.

1. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2009

Sadly, I know nothing about ipods. But I have dozens of cds that I use regularly with my class. I've heard of teachers putting their music all on an ipod and using that. I have lots of questions!

How do you transfer music from a cd onto an ipod?
    How quickly do you scroll through everything to find the song you want? (What is the search feature like?)
    What do you need in terms of speakers?
    I know there are different types of ipods. Which would be the best for that use and what kind of $ are we talking about?

See, told you I know nothing.

I also wanted to get individual cd players (probably 6 or them) so my students can listen to books on cd independently. It just dawned on me that I may be able to use ipods for this purpose.

How simple are they to use if I had 30 or so books loaded onto an ipod? Would my K students quickly learn to access the correct book?
    Is it likely they would break from a lot of handling by young students?
    Can I load the same cd onto multiple ipods?
    Would I be able to use a more inexpensive ipod for this use?
    What about headphones? I'm concerned about the lice issue...

Thank you so much for ANY insight you can give me.

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2009

I do love my iPod, but here's my issues with using them in the class...

If they are for Ks, I think their little fingers may not be able to manage the search action. It's a touch wheel (you move your finger in a circle to search), but you can't press down too hard, or else it won't turn/you'll press play.

As for uploading, you need to first transfer the CD to the iTunes library on a computer, then sync the iPod with the computer. I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that you can only sync one iPod with the computer.

At the restaurant I work at, we found a cord that plugged into our stereo and allowed us to play the iPod that way. Much cheaper than buying a docking station with speakers.

An 8 gig nano is about $150. I'm also guessing you *could* use traditional headphones, because using the earbuds would be unsanitary.

I just think it would be a costly and possibly fruitless venture for Ks. if you really want to try it, maybe buy one and use it for books on CD for the whole class to see if it truly is easier than a CD.

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 25, 2009

I agree. Ipod's are wonderful for adult and older children, however I don't think it would be practical with the K's. Their little fingers wouldn't be able to navigate the screens, as well as be able to read what the screens are saying. If I were you I'd just stick with the cd players which are relatively inexpensive now as opposed to the cheapest ipod shuffle being around 50 dollars or so. That 50 dollar one doesn't let you choose what songs you want to play either, it's just a shuffle.

While I can understand you want to bring the technology to the kids, I'm just not sure if Ipods are grade level appropriate for the little guys.

It would be great to upload your cds onto. Itunes makes this very easy and lots of times the help feature on Itunes can answer all questions. Most of the time when you load a cd in it will prompt you with a question about uploading it anyways.

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2009

You can sync multiple ipods from the same computer. You can't sync from multiple computers (without replacing the contents of the ipod). I have 4 ipods, all synced up from my laptop.

I have seen "kid friendly" mp3 players. I agree with ipods being too fragile. They are also very small, so tough for little hands to use.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2009

I love my ipod, but wouldn't trust a little one with it! I'd look into the kid friendly mp3 players like mollydoll suggested or do books on cd or books on tape for the wee ones :)

7. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Mar 26, 2009

My 5 year old, 12 year old, 15 year old, myself and husband all have our own iPods!!! I don't think we'd share them very well! I was shocked at how well my 5 year old has managed to learn to use his iPod - he can find the music, movie or game he wants to play with no problem. (He has the iPod Classic). My older two and husband all have the new Nano. They all love them. My 15 year olds only complaint is that he would rather have had the iTouch. All four of their iPods can be synced into any computers iTunes account without it erasing any of their material. I have the iTouch and LOVE it. I've used it a ton in class with downloading podcasts and playing them! My iPod can only be synced with my computer due to the different applications - if I hook it to another computer it will erase everything I already have on there.

I have heard of a lot of teachers using the iPod shuffles and nanos in their classroom for just what you're talking about. Although it won't be easy the first few times they use them, kids are a lot more tech savy than we give them credit for! I'd do some research and figure out what you like - get one for yourself, play with it, enjoy it - and then you can decide if you think your kiddos can use it! I think you'll be pleasantly suprised!

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for all of the wonderful insight! I certainly have a lot to think about and I'm ready to dive into a little more research on what might work for my classroom.