Taking the plunge towards educational leadership

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gr3teacher, Aug 9, 2017.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 9, 2017

I just submitted my application fee for the PhD program at a university near me, and have all my recommendations lined up. GRE is taken, awaiting official results (167 Quantitative, 168 Verbal, Analytical Writing TBA), unofficial transcripts have been submitted, official transcripts are in transit. It'll still be a long road... even if I get accepted into the program, it'll take me at least 5 years... but I'm hoping I'll get my administrative credentials fairly early in the program. I love teaching and I love the work that I'm doing, but I'm ready to move onward and upward.

AlwaysAttend and Leaborb192 like this.
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2017

Good for you!

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Aug 10, 2017

What types of classes do you have to take? Any fieldwork? I looked into it a while ago and I think the program that my university had took up to 10 years LOL It looked overwhelming.

5. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 10, 2017

Good for you! I always play around with the idea, but I haven't done a thing toward it.

Five years sounds like a long time. I know several people who got their PHD in two years while working full-time. However, they all had their admin. papers before, so they didn't have to do an internship or anything like that.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 10, 2017

WOW! I have my M.Ed. in Educational Leadership, so I'm in awe of anyone who chooses to go for the doctor plunge in that topic. Looking forward to reading about your work and research.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2017

I got my certs through a Masters program. Good luck on your journey. FYI, Harvard just opened their application up for the year for PhD in Ed Philosophy.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 14, 2017

OP, better you than me - I just don't have the stamina. A couple of MEd.'s with some credits left over, and I think officially I am done. There are courses I would still like to take, but no degree to chase. Good luck!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Aug 14, 2017

My thoughts exactly!

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 14, 2017

It's the research aspect of the Ph.D that appeals to me. I really want to do research either into twice-exceptionality, or something dealing with parental advocacy for students with disabilities. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do once I have my Ph.D, but I like the idea of becoming a parent advocate. After seeing how my daughter's school tried to play games with me, even when knowing that I know the law, I'm genuinely (and sadly) curious to know what they try to pull with parents who don't know the law.