Taking Photos

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Cdfblair, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Cdfblair

Cdfblair New Member

Jun 11, 2017

I would like take pictures of my students in middle school. I would like to document the year and create a slide show at the end of the year. I will be teaching 5 classes this year in math at different levels. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2017

Only thing I would suggest is to run this by admin, because there are often limitations on photos of students. If you get the green light, you will know that you can get down to the details of your project.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 11, 2017

If your school doesn't send out a photo release at the beginning of the year you may not be permitted to do this without creating a photo release of your own and sending it out to your students. Then you need to make sure that you don't share any photos of students who don't have that form signed.

5. rpan

rpan Comrade

Jun 11, 2017

One thing I would suggest is that if there are any kids who do not have media release from their parents and you wish to film a class without excluding those kids, get those kids to paste a sticker (like those used for printing labels) on the front of their shirt. That way, when you are taking photos it's pretty clear who you aren't supposed to take photos of and the students can still participate in the activity you are taking pictures of.

Peregrin5 and otterpop like this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 11, 2017

I agree with all of this but also wanted to say I think it's a great idea. Get permission if needed, but kids love seeing themselves in photos.

I'm surprised by what Facebook friends of mine who are teachers will post, even ones from my school... Full photos of students onto social media and/or class websites. I think I'm middle of the road cautious. This year, I had one student who had specific reasons not to want to be photographed, so I left him out of pics. I did take pictures to put into a slideshow, but anything I shared publicly (not just with students) had faces hidden.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2017

Which is another double standard in this profession:
    If you're a (tenured) principal's favorite teacher you can do whatever including posting pictures of your students on your OWN personal FB. I see them on my teacher friends' pages and just go ''wow.''
    But if you're not (especially if you're a target,) and you do one thing wrong... all hell breaks loose. You have to be extra careful because ONE person (just ONE) could see it and run to the principal. And then you have to do deal with a very awkward, passive- aggressive conversation where things get blown out of proportion. (sigh)
    CYA always!
    ;):thumbs:

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2017

I do a video yearbook for my AVID kids every year and it always goes over big. Two big recommendations are A) have lots of variety and B) use Animoto because it helps with the variety. Seriously though, anything more than 5 minutes of just pictures is too long. Slideshows get boring fast - even when fancied up with Animoto. Tell a story or just get out quick.