Taking over for a teacher halfway through the year- advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Jun 26, 2018.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2018

Hello all! Long time no see!

I am moving back abroad and will be taking over a classroom in the middle of the year. School year is in Southern Hemisphere calendar, from January to November. I will start in July. I have never had to start mid-year before so I'm nervous about "replacing" a teacher.

I had one email with the previous teacher letting me know one or two things that they use in the classroom. I wrote back with more questions and never got a reply. I'm not so worried about classroom management, more about structure and organization that is already set up in the room and how I can figure out a) what it is, and b) if I don't like it how I deal with it. I certainly can't ask the students to change everything, right?

What do I do the first day? First day "get to know you" stuff, or right into science like I've been there all along? Classes are 6th and 7th grade science.

Any experience or general advice would be great!! Thanks!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

I would start off as if it's the beginning of the school year - getting to know you activities, routines, procedures, etc. You need to build those relationships with them, despite it being mid-year.

lucybelle likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 26, 2018

I’d think it is important to build the relationships, but also to get right down to business. Since the kids have already been in school for awhile, let them take some of the ownership of showing you how things are done in the classroom. Of course, they need to know you are the boss, but they also need to know that you understand that they are already established in a lot of routines.

As someone who has taken over a classroom in February, I just kept things as-is. If there wasn’t a procedure in place, or it absolutely was not working, then I came up with something. Another time I took a leave replacement, so I was there for a whole year. I did start the year as their regular teacher, but I was in that teacher’s room, set up her way with her things. I didn’t change anything I couldn’t change back when she returned.

lucybelle likes this.
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 27, 2018

Perhaps you can have the students help you! Start with the basics and have them assess their first half of the year on a K-W-L chart. That will help you evaluate where they are in their learning while getting to know them as your new charges.

lucybelle likes this.
  6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2018

Great ideas everyone, thanks!

I like the idea of doing a quick "get to know me" thing, then a KWL, then if time, move into some science.