Taking CSET multiple subject, subtest II

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Silvia153, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Silvia153

Silvia153 New Member

Aug 25, 2017

Hi everyone,
    I need some help. I just got my results back and failed the CSET MS subtest II with 210. I know that this test has changed and I would like to know what is the difference between the previous format with this new one? I took the old format and felt horrible. I actually did good in the multiple choice part of the test, but horrible in the essay part. English is my second language and I have difficulty finding professional words when taking an exam. Any suggestions? Please help me to find material that would help me improve my writing portion of this exam. Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2017

What do you see on the second page of the score report? Any area in which you see three plus marks or fewer is one in which you can improve.

CSET-MS constructed responses aren't essays. If you're introducing and concluding them, you're working too hard. If you're trying to write pretty prose, you're working too hard. For science, bullet lists can work well; for math, laying out the steps to solve a problem can be excellent. The scorers are looking for terminology that indicates that you really do grasp the subject matter: science terms for science, math terms for math. If you're skilled in math or science in your first language, try looking for books written for older children that deal with science or math that you know: such books tend to be very visual, and that could help you acquire the terminology. Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org, might be helpful.

As for the format of the subtest, don't expect it to change much. The main changes are in what the subtest covers: there's more emphasis on climate change and environmental impacts of technology, and more emphasis on literacy in science (science terminology, academic vocabulary, and text structures in science such as lab reports).

4. teachervero

teachervero Rookie

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:40 PM

Hi, Have you retaken this test? Im about to take it on Saturday. I'm scared of the quick response questions.

5. Silvia153

Silvia153 New Member

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:57 PM

No, I haven't yet. I am registered to take it on December 12th. I did not find earlier dates. For some reason, this one is not available as frequent as the old version used to.
    Let me know how it goes for you. Good luck

teachervero likes this.
  6. teachervero

teachervero Rookie

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:46 PM

Will do. Thank you!