Taking a personal day here and there...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MathGuy31, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Feb 3, 2019

I am allowed to use 10 days for personal circumstances, which includes illnesses. I am allowed an additional 5 days where I am required to come in to work, but am not in my classroom. I deter from taking personal days because my students have specific needs that the classroom teacher specializes in and understands how to address their needs. On ill days, my teacher aide usually takes over and the substitute teacher kind of does "teacher aide" tasks.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 3, 2019

Not really, haha! I make it fun and my students find my lectures/activities engaging, though they tend to still moan and gripe. They’re so dramatic!

MathGuy31, Aces and Teacher234 like this.
  3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Feb 3, 2019

Wow....I am definitely glad that this is the case. I find higher level math scary. That must be why I teach elementary.

4. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Feb 3, 2019

I'm looking to move into administration. Nothing is wrong with my current place of employment, I am just ready for the change.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 3, 2019

That’s wicked awesome. I’m jealous!!!

I’m looking to move into administration eventually. Currently, I still have to take the CPACE, but once I do, I will start as a VP, work my way up to a principal position, and then eventually head on to a district office if given the chance. Ideally, I want to be an superintendent eventually because they make bank. For example, the superintendent in my home town was hated by certain teachers in the district because she made $270,000/year, which was more than what most doctors and the Governor of California made at the time.

However, I idealize her and think she is absolutely brilliant. She is a math major like me and she’s very eloquent when she speaks. I admire her power and everyone looked up to her, even though they despised her salary package. She ended up working as the superintendent for 7 years, the longest ever for a superintendent in that district. She could have kept working, but she was eligible to retire making that and so there was no point for her continue working as she was maxed in pay. I hope to be just like her one day. She’s my hero, haha!

ready2learn likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 4, 2019

You shouldn't have to explain your personal days. We just request them and take them if approved. I don't get paid for unused days and they don't roll over to the next year so I definitely take them all.

MathGuy31 likes this.