Taking a personal day here and there...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MathGuy31, Feb 2, 2019.

1. MathGuy31

MathGuy31 Rookie

Feb 2, 2019

Do you all find that it is okay to get a sub to take a personal day here and there? I find that it is sometimes useful and revitalizing but curious to what others think. In general, I try to be honest with my principal and say I'm taking a day to do something useful for my license but I feel like I'm lying. What do other teachers on here state when they take a personal day. Just curious..

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 3, 2019

In my district we get 3 personal days per year. They may not be used to extend a break, but when we do use them we do not need to give a reason. I don’t always use mine (they then roll into sick leave), but when I do, it is usually to attend an event with one of my daughters. We also have to schedule them 3 days in advance.

MathGuy31 likes this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 3, 2019

I’ve never taken a personal day off and don’t feel like I need to or should (for me only) because I teach classes and oversee clubs that would be difficult to fill. For example, I teach AP Stats, AP Calc BC, and Calc 3 and I’m also in charge of Robotics Club and now Technology Club. Plus, I recently was asked to consider teaching AP Computer Science A since the teacher who is teaching it now is retiring.

It is difficult enough finding someone who is competent to fulfill all of the roles I carry out, so I don’t think it would be appropriate to have my admin try to find a replacement for everything I do.

I’ve also been told that no one can teach Calc 3 when I asked around and very, very few feel comfortable with rudimentary Computer Science, let alone AP Calc BC.

MathGuy31 likes this.
  5. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Feb 3, 2019

Personal days are just that. You shouldn't feel the need to justify what you are planning to do. I am taking one in March to attend a conference, but I will probably take a couple more before the end of the year. I usually take one in later May when conditions are right to put my garden in.

mathmagic and MathGuy31 like this.
  6. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Feb 3, 2019

We get 4... you take them whenever you want. No questions asked.

MathGuy31 likes this.
  7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 3, 2019

I don’t do it, but I don’t care if others do or not. I only care if I have to cover a class or prep their stuff for them. Otherwise, not an issue.

I only take days off for major illness, meetings, or illness for parents. We get three personal and ten sick days a year. The personal days will roll over to sick days.

We can cash out unused sick days at retirement.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. MathGuy31

MathGuy31 Rookie

Feb 3, 2019

These are good responses.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 3, 2019

I get 2 personal days and 6 sick days. You can accumulate sick and personal days, up to a maximum. In fact, I always gift my personal days and sick days to my favorite colleagues because I’ve never used either and have an excellent immune system and my doctors frequently comment as such.

MathGuy31 likes this.
  10. MathGuy31

MathGuy31 Rookie

Feb 3, 2019

I like that!!

11. MathGuy31

MathGuy31 Rookie

Feb 3, 2019

That’s extremely giving and thoughtful!!

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 3, 2019

For all of the great benefits that my private school offers, where it is lacking is that it doesn’t pay out for accumulated days and so there is no point in me collecting days that I will most likely — it’s possible I might — never use.

MathGuy31 likes this.
  13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 3, 2019

I think it's foolish not to use them. Our sick days roll over to the next year, but our personal days do not. I think not using them is equivalent to giving away free money.

MathGuy31 likes this.
  14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 3, 2019

My school does not payout for unused days so, in my case, it is certainly not giving free money away. And as I am on a salaried contract, I make the same amount of money.

I know some, not all, public school districts DO pay teachers for unused personal days/sick days so using them IS equivalent to giving free money away.

15. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2019

That depends on the district.

I prefer not to use them - to the extent possible (I've taken two days over the course of my career - one for a funeral of my mentor teacher who shaped who I am today [and even then, I went and helped in the classroom, before the funeral, of one of the teachers I used to sub for a lot], and one for my sister's graduation which was out of state and on a Saturday morning) - but we also get paid out for them. We can hold up to 5 at any given time (3 per year added), and can cash out others as we want. Obviously, those who don't get paid may have more desire to utilize them.

To the OP: I think in general, a good rule of thumb is to feel free to use what you're given in a reasonable way that makes sense to you based on your particular situation. Everyone has a different situation, different personality, and as long as you're leaving quality sub plans and being smart with those days (i.e. following the requirements the district has around setting them up), then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. And that's coming from someone who hates taking them :p

16. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 3, 2019

We get paid for unused sick days, but the personal days disappear. It is giving away free money because time=money in my book. If I make $70,000 for 180 days and I make the same $70,000 for 178 days, a simple math calculation shows I end up with less pay per day if I let the days go unused.

That said, when I take them, I am always sure to take them on a day I can leave something easy for a sub, like a quiz or a review/practice day. I try not to take them on days where I acctually have content I need to deliver.

MathGuy31 and futuremathsprof like this.
  17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2019

When I was in public school, I never had a problem using the personal days I earned. I worked 100% and more when I was there, so taking a day off for me a couple of times per year help rejuvenate me and rest up some. They never had anyone qualified in my classroom to replace me as a sub, so I just provided good plans that allowed the students to review necessary skills.

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 3, 2019

Agreed. Mathematically, that does make sense.
    And good strategic thinking about when you plan to take a personal day off. I just will never use mine as they serve no purpose for me.

19. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Feb 3, 2019

I think it is good to use them, but I rarely do. At my school, we have to request them 2 weeks in advance. We get paid a little for unused days, but it isn't a lot. I have taken off just 1 day this year so far because I am looking for a job and hope I have to use some days later on in the year for interviews.

20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 3, 2019

What grade do you currently teach and where do you want to transfer to? Is your current placement not a good fit or is about the pay? Both? Else?

21. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Feb 3, 2019

Yikes...those seem to be complicated math classes. I teach elementary math...lol