Tactfully handling dress code?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gopatriots18, Jan 25, 2018.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2018

That's why I use this phrase as my "go-to"; I'm not calling attention to what I may be noticing. Especially at the high school level, they know exactly what infraction they are committing, you don't need to tell them if you are nervous about being accused of saying something inappropriate.

Caesar753 likes this.
  2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

The problem was the principal wanted individuals written up according to the OP.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2018

I once worked with a man who was accused by a parent of inappropriate behavior towards her daughter. The parent felt that because the teacher asked the student to adjust her clothing to cover up her visible undergarments, it meant that the teacher was "checking out" the student. It turned into a big to-do, with the parent, teacher, and admin at odds. It was a mess. It was ultimately resolved, but not before a lot of unpleasantness.

While I don't think it should be this way, I would encourage male teachers to tread carefully when it comes to dress code. If necessary, ask a female colleague to help address the issue if it's a sensitive one.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jan 30, 2018

It may not be fair, but this is definitely a delicate balance for male teachers. The men on my wing will always call in a female teacher to deal with dress code violations among the female student population.

5. gopatriots18

gopatriots18 Rookie

Jan 31, 2018

My principal’s philosophy is to resolve everything that can possibly be resolved in homeroom before sending students to first period.

Ultimately, she firmly told me to enforce the policy – don’t hesitate or the students will not respect me as a new teacher. I also sensed an unspoken implication that she will not respect me if I continue to get tagged for failing to enforce policies.

In attempting to be tactful, I feel hamstrung because the relevant handbook rules specifically say:

--“Students are expected to arrive on campus wearing proper uniform attire, and remain in uniform until they are off campus at the end of the school day.”

--“Students shall report to assigned homerooms by the 7:35 AM warning bell. During homeroom all hallways, bathrooms, and locker areas shall remain clear until the first period bell, except in an emergency.”

--“Homeroom teachers shall check and ensure uniform compliance at the start of each day.”

--“Students are expected to fully cooperate during uniform compliance checks, and shall remedy violations immediately upon request.

--“Sweatpants, pajama pants, leggings, or any other style of pants are not permitted underneath the uniform skirt.”

To enforce the spirit and the letter of these rules it’s become clear I’m expected to ensure sweatpants are removed while still in homeroom, otherwise I’ll get administratively cited again.

Here are the relevant skirt length rules (probably written forty years ago):

--“Skirts shall not be rolled around the waist.”

--“Skirts shall be no shorter than 3 inches above the floor when kneeling.”

The archaic protocol for taking a measurement is to request the student kneel on the floor, straighten her back and look straight ahead. Three ruler measurements are to be taken – one on each side, and one on the back of the skirt. If any one of those measurements exceeds three inches above the floor, there’s an infraction punishable by detention. If the skirt is rolled at the waist, the student is expected to unroll it while in homeroom. If the length cannot be corrected, the student is to be sent to the office at the first period bell and parents will be called.

A female colleague told me that, practically speaking, skirt length doesn’t receive much overall enforcement because faculty dislike administering the kneeling measurement test even when hemlines are noticeably higher on the thigh. However, her advice was to follow our principal’s guidance as I establish my credibility, but to be extra careful as a male in doing everything by the book.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 31, 2018

Yea, you’d think in todays days in age they’d like girls to cover up. If some admin told me to make a teenage girl kneel on the floor so I could measure her skirt, i’d tell them they were nuts. Just do the pants check and leave it at that.

Oh, and look for a new job.

7. gopatriots18

gopatriots18 Rookie

Jan 31, 2018

We are an all girls school. No pants option here - traditional plaid uniform skirts only.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 31, 2018

How out of touch. Let them wear pants.

In gym class back in the day, they used to make high school kids swim naked. Obviously someone realized that was inappropriate and that policy changed.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2018

The word “gymnasium” literally means “a place of nakedness”. Do with that as you will.

10. gopatriots18

gopatriots18 Rookie

Feb 4, 2018

Agreed. I don’t understand why parents don’t press for a pants option, considering the region we are in. I just looked at tomorrow morning's forecast and there’s going to be wind chill in the mid 20’s – freezing!

11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Feb 4, 2018

Is this a religious schools?