Tactfully handling dress code?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gopatriots18, Jan 25, 2018.

1. gopatriots18

gopatriots18 Rookie

Jan 25, 2018

I’m a first year male teacher looking for input on tactfully handling female student dress code violations. All homeroom teachers at my private school are expected to resolve dress code problems before students are sent to first period. I’ve had two recent incidents where I was cited for failing to enforce dress code standards in my homeroom.

Both incidents are similar in that I failed to address female students coming to homeroom, then going to first period, still wearing sweatpants under their uniform skirts. While technically our student handbook forbids students arriving to school with sweatpants under skirts, our principal permits it as long as the sweatpants are removed before homeroom – generally when students first go to their lockers, because our winter climate has been bone chilling.

My reluctance to enforce the policy stems primarily from embarrassment, as a male authoritative figure, in having to instruct any high school aged female to “remove her sweatpants” before she can leave my homeroom. But on the other hand, I cannot allow myself to get anymore administrative citations. My inexperience makes me dread having to enforce dress code rules under these circumstances.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 25, 2018

Just point and say dress code and hand them whatever slip you have to. Don’t elaborate lol.

I wouldn’t want to be in that position either. Did the principal not understand your position on the matter or did you fail to tell them why you didn’t?

ms.irene and Belch like this.
  4. gopatriots18

gopatriots18 Rookie

Jan 25, 2018

My hesitation to explain my position to our female principal stems from the same sense of embarrassment I have in confronting the students. I feel like just the act of expressing my underlying concerns will cause my principal to view me negatively.

5. Teacher234

Teacher234 Companion

Jan 25, 2018

Honestly, be direct and enforce the expectations.

In the high schools of my district, students are sent home for the day if the dress code is not complied with more than twice. That is all I really know, as far as the updated HS dress code goes.
    I do know that uniforms are not required.

6. Belch

Belch Companion

Jan 25, 2018

AlwaysAttend has the right idea. Make it as impersonal as possible. You're not a guy telling a young girl to take her pants off. You're a teacher enforcing a dress code.

7. JimG

JimG Companion

Jan 25, 2018

As a young male teacher, you are d@mned if you do and d@mned if you don’t. It sucks that you are put in that position.

Remind the class as a whole, without singling anybody out, of the expectation. If it is still a problem, see if you can simply email the principal and have her deal with the female student’s attire.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2018

Generally, male teachers should pass off the duty to a woman for girls, and visa versa.. Sadly, dress code often falls to the female teachers, and I have made peace with that over time. I have no problem pointing out infractions in boys and girls, and if you've read some of my posts about being consistent about enforcing infractions across the board, you know that it isn't about "Gotcha!" and more about it is a rule that the school wants me to enforce - period. In your case, their violation of the dress code is showing up on your record, so either find a way to address the issue yourself, or strike a deal with a female teacher. I don't think that you will have difficult time having finding a female teacher to do this for you if you reciprocate by calling out the males with pants drooping and showing off their underwear.

Either way, make a note that the student in question corrected the DVC, with the time, because students have been known to fix the problem, only to recreate the DCV upon leaving your classroom. Most schools would frown on a picture, but having a second teacher observing the behavior would/should put the blame on the student instead of the teacher. Best of luck!

9. Belch

Belch Companion

Jan 25, 2018

No! You're a teacher with a responsibility, and gender is not an issue. Even evoking gender is a really sexist way of looking at this.

It's just a dress code, and any teacher can enforce it.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2018

"Make sure you are following the dress code, please."

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 26, 2018

Simple and sweet. If that doesn't get their attention, make a check list of possible infractions listed in the handbook and check off what they broke?

otterpop likes this.
  12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 26, 2018

This was my idea also.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 26, 2018

Flitter, you could even make slips with the snippet from the handbook and just circle or highlight the infraction.

ms.irene likes this.
  14. gopatriots18

gopatriots18 Rookie

Jan 29, 2018

On Friday I raised my concerns with our principal and she viewed my hesitation to enforce the dress code entirely as my lack of self-confidence as a new teacher. She thinks students sense it, and they test the limit of what they feel they can get away with. She said to have no fear in doing my job carrying out school policies.

So this morning I handed out copies of the dress code and made a general announcement that while today I’m only issuing written warnings, starting tomorrow I’ll be enforcing the dress code by writing detention referrals.

I issued written warnings to two students for sweatpants and instructed them to be removed on the spot. Additionally, utilizing an archaic measurement procedure set forth in the handbook, I issued warnings to four students for skirt hemlines exceeding three inches above the knee while kneeling.

After speaking with my principal and reading forum feedback, I realized I’ll never earn respect as long as I continue to be Mr. Pushover.

ms.irene likes this.
  15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 29, 2018

Yea, im never taking out a ruler and measuring a skirt. I’d rather they think I’m a pushover. I’m glad you’re feeling more confident though.

16. gopatriots18

gopatriots18 Rookie

Jan 29, 2018

It’s not so much newfound confidence; it’s more fear of getting additional reprimands. After my talk with our principal, I’m taking her at her word to not hesitate in expecting accountability. I feel like I’m on the hook for any future instances of my homeroom students getting tagged for dress code after passing through my homeroom in the mornings.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  17. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Jan 30, 2018

I fail to see why gender has to do with it. I have called more than one boy out for having underwear showing. Something along the lines of "Hey Man, ya gotta pull your pants up, nobody wants to see ya underpants". I just keep it chill and light, so to speak.

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

It couldn’t be more different societally speaking for a male and female teacher.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jan 30, 2018

This is another thread that makes me so glad I'm at the elementary level!

mathmagic and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  20. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Jan 30, 2018

Yeah I see that :/
    Unfortunately, men who teach get the raw deal sometimes.

21. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

I don’t see it as a raw deal. It just is what is is.