Tables vs. Desks in 2nd Grade

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Mar 2, 2008.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

May 30, 2008

I've done both tables and desks. I much prefer desks, but I'm stuck with tables. Our tables only have a tiny space for storage ( a little drawer that constantly falls out) and we have NO cubbies, and only 16 hooks (so if I have more than 16 students, some students have to share coat hooks!)

The disadvantages to tables are --
    --not as much storage as a desk.
    --can't isolate students with behavior problems, or talkers
    --have to use privacy screens for testing
    --when one child erases (scrubs the eraser) the whole table shakes and makes others make mistakes
    --almost impossible to rearrange the room
    --half the children are always facing the wrong way when you teach

2. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

May 30, 2008

I love having tables!!! I finally got them in April. Everything has been so much easier and cleaner since I made the transition. I don't have kids digging through papers to find a book, I have all the notebooks in their own storage container and my "Paper Pusher" ( a classroom job that requires passing papers and books) gets everyone their materials. I like it better that way. We still utilize the community supplies with the basket in the middle of the tables so nothing really has changed. No more arguing about desks not straight, someone is touching my desk or someone is hiding my eraser in their desk etc.etc.etc.
    Cooperative groups are much easier to manage. There are just so many reasons why I love the tables. I'm a little bit of a neat freak so my room looks much nicer and more organized now.

3. sarbea

sarbea Rookie

Jun 5, 2008

I have desks and have appreciated it this year because I have so many contensious little ones. The messiness is definitely an issue. It seems that their little desks get overrun with drawing, papers that were supposed to go home, and their little readers. I'm wondering if I should work on discovering a system to help manage the run away paper load.

Tables would be nice as far as cleanliness, but I am a bit of an indecisive person and like the opportunity for change as needed.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 5, 2008

As long as you have enough cubbies and coat hooks for each person, desks are FAR better in my book. With square tables everyone can face the teacher except one student, and this happens if you have your desks in cooperative groups anyway.

5. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 5, 2008

I have put in the request for tables next year. I think it will help with organization a lot!

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 5, 2008

I think I am going to get desks next year...

I'm feeling more comfortable with the idea. When I started teaching with desks it was in the middle of the year and the kids had terrible desk organization. Next year, it will be the kids' first experience with desks. So hopefully if I teach them the RIGHT way it will be more organized... I saw on a website somewhere, a teacher made a poster of what a neat desk looks like, and she labeled everything in the desk.

I'm going to have my kids in groups and they are going to have caddies for supplies. So they'll just have workbooks, notebooks, and possibly folders in their desks. No stray papers, no supplies. So with the "neat desk" poster, and visits from the desk fairy, hopefully that will help!

7. Youngteacher226

Jun 5, 2008

Trust me, they always find a way to sneak miscellaneous things in there every now and then.:rolleyes:

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 5, 2008

Oh brother.:huh:

9. Youngteacher226

Jun 5, 2008

:lol:

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 6, 2008

Yes they do YT! It's amazing how much stuff they can cram in them over a week.

MissK-You could do a weekly desk award. Give a student a certificate for the neatest desk and let them get something from the treat jar.

11. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jun 6, 2008

Wow this thread came just in time! When I was in preschool I always had tables, but for my elementary experience (8 years) I have had desks. Two years ago, the school bought these desks that are rounded and they are terrible to group, plus they take up so much more room. So...we just decided today to bite the bullet and order tables! Also for the first time we are departmentalizing and I will have 2nd grade, a 3/4 split class and 5th grade each for 2 hours. I was afraid of the change but I think it will be ok!

12. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 7, 2008

I would REALLY like tables this year, but I don't think it'll work in my situation.

For the first time, we will be departmentalized this year... like the big kids do. I will teach reading, writing, and skills block, and the teacher next door to me will be teaching math, science, and social studies. We will keep our own classrooms, and each teach two classes of students.

My students don't have cubbies, or even hooks to hang their book bags! So as much as I would LOVE tables, I don't know how I could store their things neatly. :(