Table Points

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 14, 2006

Do any of you do some sort of table points for management of small groups? If so, how do you record them, and what are the rewards??

I have a bee/garden theme in my room so I'm hoping to think of something... not necessarily prize oriented though.

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 15, 2006

I don't personally, but my CT did (who now happens to be a coworker). She had a small basket for each table. Each time a student was working hard or did a good job in the hall (either walking or during a bathroom break) she would put a "fuzzy" in their hand. A "fuzzy" is basically a pom-pom. The students would then put their "fuzzy" in their group basket. At the end of the week all the "fuzzies" were totaled, and the winning group got a treat from the treat jar. To follow your bee theme, you could buy black and yellow pom-poms and call them "buzzies" or something to that sort. The kids really had fun with it. You don't have to do a prize if you don't want to. Or the prize could be 5 minutes of free time (or something along those lines).

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 15, 2006

We did when I was student teaching (2nd)... my CT hadn't done it, but her sub and I needed to implement them when my CT was gone for a couple of days. We just kept a tally on the board, and added a point or two whenever it seemed appropriate. The team that won at the end of the day got the ceiling-hanging decoration we happened to be using at the time (maybe a bee or something to keep with your theme). They were SO proud!!!

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 15, 2006

Ohh a ceiling hanging decoration, that is so super cute, and easy! They would love it.

6. keeley73

keeley73 Rookie

Jun 15, 2006

I did tally marks on a chart. On Fridays I let the winning team choose from the treasure box. It was a great incentive - quietest team, team that brings all their papers back that went home to get signed, team cooperation, neatest team, etc. Use it spontaneously so that you catch teams being good.
    For individuals I gave the raffle tickets and had a jar on my desk. They would write their name on the back of the ticket and put it in the jar. At the end of the week I would draw a couple of names from that. It was amazing how many hands went up to answer questions if I started to hand those out - great for reviewing a concept. The tickets were about $3 for 500 tickets at Walmart.

7. Carla

Carla Companion

Jun 15, 2006

I love the idea about the pom poms. That would be so easy. I had a captain of each group with a chart on their desk and they kept up with it. The table that won ate lunch with me on Monday's. I did take away points. What types of things did you guys give points for? I gave points for being respectful for a visitor in the room, homework, following instructions, group working well together, everyone being ready when told....just to name a few. I just am not sure how I would handle having to give something physically each time to the group. I'm not sure I'd be as consistent.

8. VegasLibra

VegasLibra Companion

Jun 16, 2006

My principal made me do table points. I hated them I had a very chalenging class that already had issues with supporting each other. The table points made it even worse and allienated two of my most challenging students, nobody wanted them at their table or in their group. Just a word of caution. They work really well for a lot classes.

9. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jun 16, 2006

I had the same issue with table points, but my principal understood and let me get rid of it. However, I think I am going to try it again next year. I read about an idea somewhere where each group had to get to 10 points. When the group did, everyone in the group got something. Once the group reached ten, only that group started over. That way, the groups were only competing to get the prize, but not necessarily with each other. You never know who is "ahead."

I might record how long it takes each group to reach 10 points. That way, they can compete, but only against themselves, by trying to beat their previous time.

It's still in the works!

10. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Jun 17, 2006

I have an ocean theme in my room and each table group is a different color. I have little colored whales on the board in the table group colors. When a table is working well, I put a tally by that table's whale. At the end of the day or week, I rewrad the winning table group with something small, such as first to recess or a small piece of candy. It works wonders! All I have to do is pick up a marker and they all quiet down to earn tallies!

11. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

Jun 18, 2006

I taught 6th & 7th grade this year and I did row points. I had a special section on the board where I kept a tally for each row and class. On Friday, for each set of 5 points each row had, that was one entry into a drawing. I would pull out 1 winning row and that whole row would each receive a new pencil of their choice (since middle schoolers seem to never had a pencil!!!). It worked well and they used peer pressure to motivate each other to do the right thing so they could earn row points.

I also did the raffle ticket thing. I had jars on my desk for each of the classes and whenever I felt like it, I would pull some tickets. I gave school supply-type things as prizes - folders, notebooks, erasers, pens, etc. It's amazing the things they would do for a ticket!!

12. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

This last year in my second grade class we used table points. Students were split into cooperative groups of 6, given a color name, and awarded points for good behavior, being done first, working quietly, etc. The group names were written on the upper left hand corner or the chalkboard, which made it very convenient to give AND TAKE points away.

What I liked best about this system was that the group at the end of the week with the most points got to do the next week's JOBS (librarian, line leader, caboose and lights, mail entity, paper passer, and eraser).

This taught responsibility, work ethic, and helped with the sense of classroom community.

Chenelle

13. bernrice

bernrice Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

I do table points each day,(2nd grade) rewarding them with tally marks for behavior, neatness, cooperative work -- any positive thing I observe. At the end of the day the table with the highest points gets to have my "trophy" at their table the next day. They are pretty good at sharing time with the trophy and LOVE having it. I just use an old swimming trophy I had from a long time ago -- you might be able to get a free mess-up from a trophy place.

14. Jamey123

Jamey123 Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

I am looking for a table point system to use this coming school year. I worry about giving a treat to the group that has the most points. I feel that if a group earns points, then they all should be rewarded at some point. (Not just the group that has the most points.) Is there anyone that has a table point system that each group is rewarded once they get to a certain number? Also, would table points start over each day or go for a week? I am open to any ideas!!:) Thanks!

15. Andibee

Andibee Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Here is a thought for the reward...A second grade teacher at my school does table points. The group with the most points at the end of the week has a group picnic at lunch. The teacher puts out a red and white checkered table cloth at the end of the table where the group sits together and eats their lunches. The children really seem to enjoy this.

16. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

I agree with you about groups needing some reinforcement, even if they aren't the group with the most points. If you look back at my previous post, I am going to try something new. The groups won't have to compete against each other, only against themselves. Whenever they reach 10 points, they get a prize of some sort. A group starts over when that particular group reaches 10 points. That is the only thing I could find that I think might work. Good luck with whatever system you use. If you decide to do something different, post back with it!

17. Jamey123

Jamey123 Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

I must have missed your 10 point idea! That might work better with my class. I was thinking of using unifix cubes for each group. Then, record each students points once the group gets to 10. If they want, they can wait to use their points later. What do you think?
    Rewards:
    10 points: read with a friend
    20 points: treat
    30 points: sit anywhere for a day
    40 points: No Spelling H.W. for a day

18. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

I think your reward system sound good! Just make sure it is simple enough to keep up with during your busy day!

19. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Aug 2, 2006

I agree that the 10-point thing sounds like a good idea. I have done table points before where the group with the most points gets a prize. Sometimes it would be the same group every week getting the most. Or, if midway through the week, if one or two groups already have a lot more points then the other groups, then the other groups figure they don't have a chance and just give up. So I think I may try this 10 points thing this year.

I have four small Tupperware containers with a different colored lid that corresponds with each group table. When I see a group doing a great job, I drop a marble into their container.

20. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

I've been reading all of these ideas, and I love them all! I'm doing a baseball theme in my classroom, and was thinking of trying to implement the pom-poms in the basket idea ("fuzzies"). For a group reward I was thinking about hanging a large cutout of a trophy or maybe a metallic gold posterboard cutout made to look like a winning ribbon from the ceiling over the winning group. BUT I agree that some of my groups may get discouraged because certain members in a group may keep them from ever winning, or at least certainly make it difficult to win. Anyone have any suggestions? Working with the baseball theme, I'm going to tell the students that as the "team manager" I reserve the right to "trade" any players to try to make the groups more effective. At least that way one group doesn't get "stuck" with difficult students for very long!

21. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 16, 2006

I like your incentives. Maybe computer time would be another good one.