Switching to Title 1

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teachingtalk, Apr 25, 2019.

1. teachingtalk

teachingtalk New Member

Apr 25, 2019

I’m new here, but I need some advice.
    I’m finishing up my first year teaching and my administration recently told me that they are not renewing my contract. I had a class with a lot of behaviors and I didn’t get a lot of support until March. I had consistently asked for more support, too. I was shocked to hear they were not bringing me back because there was no talk of it, and no warnings. I don’t disagree with their reasonings, but I really thought I had grown a lot this year and my kids had shown more growth than I expected due to my constant need to handle behaviors and not teach.

My principal told me she would like to apply for one of the title positions open at the school. I’m hesitant due to the lack of support I had in the classroom, and how big of a failure I feel like I am. I’m also nervous of people looking down on me for having to “move down” to title, which obviously isn’t the case. My question Is, what would you do in my position? And how would you feel about this? Has anyone experienced this?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 25, 2019

I work in a Title I district, so we have no idea who is paid with Title I funds and who isn’t. Back when we were a Title I school, those positions weren’t viewed any differently than the other positions. Title I setups can look different in different places, but for us it was just a regular teacher in a regular classroom.

4. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Apr 27, 2019

I LOVED being in Title. I did small group interventions (and I secretly had additional time and didn't have to hold my pee for hours at a time). I don't think that people will think that it is a step down, since you were in a classroom in the same building this year. I do think that some people thought I was an aide my first year in Title because I moved buildings to do it.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 27, 2019

Our Title I coordinator is my biggest teaching partner and, in my opinion, second only to the principal when it comes to the success of our school. My biggest, most important suggestion I can make (as a former Title I teacher who didn't have strong support), is to learn all about Response to Intervention (RTI). This is all about finding ways to listen to the language of the learner and to answer it. http://rtinetwork.org/learn is a treasure trove of information that my coordinator uses and I have come to love.