Suspended...contract then cancelled

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Fritzybaby99, May 21, 2018.

1. Fritzybaby99

Fritzybaby99 New Member

May 21, 2018

I worked for a private school and I had signed a contract for next year. On field day there was a water balloon fight between teachers and students where students attacked teachers with water balloons and then the teachers grabbed water balloons and attacked students back. From what I was told this has been a tradition for years, one that everyone always participated in. Apparently a picture was taken of me where I looked mad, even though I was not, and so I was suspended for the last day of school and my contract was put in to non renewal for next year, but I am being paid through the terms of my contract for this year.

I have no recourse of action because I worked for a private school. I don't know what to do at this point. The only bright thing that has come out of this situation is that I have lost 10 pounds in 4 days. I am considering leaving teaching altogether. The principal said she didn't want to fire me but felt pressure from parents and the pastor of the parish wouldn't sign the letter saying I was suspended. Because it is a private school I am not part of a union and I cannot afford a lawyer. I am not stupid enough to think going to the media will help, and I don't believe that I have any ground to stand on as a teacher. What other fields can I go into? I have an extensive education in human services including psychology, gerontology, and business management. This was my first year teaching, but I am reluctant to go back after this.

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 21, 2018

You shouldn't want to work there again anyways. Since your principal is on your side, just make sure she agrees to give you a good recommendation to another school you interview with and not to talk about that dumb incident. I have a feeling there is more to this story.... but if not, then just move on and look elsewhere. Why would they suspend you over this, especially when school is ending soon anyways.

4. Joyful!

Joyful! Cohort

May 21, 2018

Does the school/parish have a board that oversees the school? That may be a recourse. Other than that, get a good recommendation and ease on down the road wiping your brow. The pressure driven administration is never one that leads, but one that reacts, which is often detrimental to all involved.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

May 21, 2018

The perception that you were mad trumps anything you have to say. This is why teachers are encouraged to close down social media - a few pictures of a teacher with what seems to be a drink (alcoholic) in their hand can be misconstrued by parents. It is always possible that the picture caught you in a momentary poor frame of mind - kids not doing what they were supposed to, someone catching you off guard with a hard splash to your face, etc. No matter what the over all tone, that one picture will stand in silent testimony to your displeasure, and nothing will change that.

Negotiate the best LOR you can wrangle, based on the fact that a single picture can't tell the whole story, and they were willing to rehire you before this incident. I wish you well.

Joyful! likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

May 21, 2018

It seems like the principal might be willing to write you a LOR since you and she are on good terms. Ask if she can state that you wanted to seek work opportunities elsewhere in the letter, if possible, so it doesn’t seem like you were nonrenewed. Just a thought!

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

May 21, 2018

Look on the bright side - you can draw unemployment benefits once your pay checks end, which will help tide you over until a new job comes along. Is there life after non renewal? Yes - work on putting the right spin on the incident, without bad-mouthing the previous school or feeling sorry for yourself. If you can get LOR's from coworkers/supervisors, so much the better.