Suspect ATM Fraud

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by shoreline02, Oct 11, 2017.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Oct 11, 2017

So I recently took money out at an ATM and two days later had a fraudulent charge on my debit card account. Since then I've closed that card with my bank and got a new one.

Thinking back, I remember the green card reader being loose and wiggly and didn't think too much of it until I read an article tonight about any loose equipment on an ATM machine being a red flag!

Should I go back to the place and see if its still loose? Do I report it? Do I tell police? It's not in the "best" area and I'm not sure just telling the store people (7 Eleven) is enough. I mean... what if they're in on it too?

3. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Companion

Oct 11, 2017

I wouldn't go back. I'd report it to the company in charge of the machine and the police.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2017

You could call the bank, but usually those things are found and removed shortly after they were placed. Good reminder for us, though, to always be aware!

5. blazer

blazer Groupie

Oct 13, 2017

This week I had a call from my bank. Someone had attempted to use my credit card to purchase clothing in India to the value of about $200. The card had been swiped (British cards have chip and pin). The card in question is not one I use regularly in the UK, I have it mainly for foreign use. The last time I had used it was in the UK back in July which would have been a chip and pin transaction. Previous to that I had used it dozens of times as I drove across the US on route 66. Over there most transactions were swipes as you rarely find chip and pin in the US. I can only think that at one of those transactions someone cloned my card. Lucky my bank was wide awake. One thing that worried us on our travels in the US is the habit of waiters etc taking your card away to organise payment. That never happens in the UK, our banks tell us never to let the card out of our sight. US waiting staff sometimes get alarmed when I follow them to the cash register when they walk away with the card.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2017

Report it to the police. The people in the store very possibly could have put it there.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2017

There's so much fraud, I wouldn't doubt if 7-11 was in on it too. Report to the police.