Support Staff

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Feb 2, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 2, 2018

Lunch supervisors, custodians, instructional assistants, office/clerical staff--whatever your school calls 'em: how much are they included in staff events?

We are having a Secret Valentine gift exchange and have included all support staff. Additionally, whenever we have our monthly potlucks or staff gatherings, we invite and include everyone.

Not all sites operate like this, though. Some schools I've worked at tend to completely exclude support staff. Shoot, at one of my sites (back when I was teaching), I probably could only identify 15-20% of the support people.

Anyway, are your fun events strictly for teachers or is an invitation extended to all?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2018

Invites extended to all, but not all participate. Our P will even try to cover off our aides and admin assistants so that they can attend lunchtime events--for at least a bit.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 2, 2018

We don't really have a lot of events like that. We used to do potlucks on half days (students leave at noon and teachers stay for PD). Most of the time, paras weren't required to stay for the PD, so they weren't there to be included. We dropped the potlucks last year because teachers reported they were stressful with having to worry about buying/making something. We don't really do any other special lunch things. We've done secret santa in previous years and that was open to anyone. I know my para participated. Any out of school events like happy hours or holiday parties are open to everyone.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 2, 2018

Our support staff get more perks than the teachers. They are included in all of the staff events but have special ones just for themselves. The front office staff really get it good. When parents bring in goodies to share with the school, rarely do they make it past the front office.

Caesar753 likes this.
  6. Teacher234

Teacher234 Companion

Feb 2, 2018

In my school district, all fun events is open for every staff member. However, support staff are expected to attend specialized meetings, while teachers do not.

7. rpan

rpan Comrade

Feb 3, 2018

We include all our admin staff in everything. The school just doesn’t run without them and our jobs are so much harder without them, so it would be silly to exclude them. They are important!

8. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Feb 3, 2018

Terrible about the front office taking treats. In my current and previous schools, food was/is set up by the centrally located mailboxes for all school employees to enjoy.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 3, 2018

Our support staff participates in luncheons and other activities. Our janitorial staff is invited to eat but not asked to provide dishes. Their pay is substandard so not bringing items is the least we can do.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Feb 3, 2018

Everyone is invited to everything.

11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Feb 3, 2018

Except for decent salaries I assume.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 3, 2018

I'm in NC. Many of our administrative staff make more than our beginning teachers.

13. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Feb 3, 2018

There is only 9 of us on staff (10 if you count our principal who is only there once a week) so we do everything together and share everything with each other. We've referred to each other as family since the beginning of the year and have only gotten closer through what has happened since then.

At my previous school I only really knew half of the teachers and only the support staff I interacted with daily. It was just so big and everyone was in their own little bubble there so it was very lonely. I think I love my current school even more after my horrible experience back there.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  14. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Feb 3, 2018

Oh, we all do stuff together.