Supply List

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Aug 10, 2018 at 2:51 PM.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:51 PM

I spoke with my principal today and he said that each teacher can decide what to put on their supply lists. I got to see my classroom and talk to the custodian and my school does provide some basic supplies -- lined paper, stapler, paperclips, whiteboard markers etc but the custodian said that supplies are hard to get at the end of the year + they seem to be pretty stingy with them! I also have a supply closet filled with different types of math manipulatives, student whiteboards, etc. I teach in a low income school so I am trying to figure out if this supply list is reasonable. This is only for one class (math) and I assume that kids would need supplies for the rest of their classes. My principal also said that if a child is having trouble getting supplies, he will provide them.

-One binder (one inch)
    -Lined paper
    -One notebook
    -Pencils and pens
    -Markers or colored pencils
    -Two glue sticks
    -Two whiteboard markers

Does this list seem reasonable for a 6th grade math class? Also, it is ok for teachers to ask for things like Kleenex and Clorox wipes? My school does not provide them.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 3:13 PM
  3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:01 PM

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:14 PM

Is there a reason they need a binder with paper AND a notebook. Can't one or the other achieve the same purpose? Also, will you be doing so much gluing in math class that not one, but two glue sticks is necessary? Finally, is it possible to just get a class set of markers or colored pencils? Unless you will be coloring daily, one of those class sets should last a couple years.

Maybe it's just the high school teacher in me, but I always feel less is more. My supply list is: Something to write with and something to write on. Just no red pen please.

I have a class set of colored pencils and a class set of glue sticks that have been with me since my first year (and I am going into year 7). I bought them with my own money, but I probably could have got my supervisor to buy them if I tried. That said, I really only use them maybe 3-4 times a year tops.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:22 PM

^
    I think the notebook paper is redundant! You're right. I was thinking that maybe the other 6th grade teachers would ask kids to bring markers or colored pencils as well in which case they could use the same supplies in all their classes. I'll ask when I meet them.

6. Aces

Aces Companion

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:27 PM

I want to agree here. I get students to get a three ring binder and a spiral notebook (with the three holes punched). The notebook is for note taking and the binder is for graded assignments. Rulers for drawing graphs and tables but those three things I always have extra of in case a student doesn't have any.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:34 PM

I also realized I don't have a class set of scissors! Do you think I should just purchase it or put it on the list?

8. Aces

Aces Companion

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:51 PM

Well my question is how crafty do you intend to be? You've got glue, coloring devices, scissors... Are you going to be particularly crafty and use these things on a regular basis? If not I'd just get a classroom set. For instance I have scissors we might use once a semester.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:52 PM

I think we would use glue/scissors once a week. It's good for matching activities for math. Markers and colored pencils would be for color coding notes and projects.

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:59 PM

I always furnish scissors, markers, glue, etc. for the kids because I refuse to lose instructional time for six kids whose scissors have vanished into the bookbag black hole.

11. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:04 PM

But... I also have my desks arranged as tables. Each table has a caddy holding a box of tissues, scissors, stapler, markers, and glue sticks.

12. Aces

Aces Companion

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:04 PM

I'd honestly say just get a classroom set.

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:06 PM

I actually do several matching activities, like the ones you are describing, in my high school math classes. The cutting and gluing part of it is generally a waste of instructional time. (I used to actually have them cut and glue the stuff, but started to just have them fill in a table with the matches instead---they get the same learning experience in half the time.)

a2z likes this.
  14. Aces

Aces Companion

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:10 PM

I just launch pumpkins out of a trebuchet and make them figure out where it's gonna go heh.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:45 PM

I do scissors, glue, colored pencils, and markers as just a classroom set. I have a three drawer organizer tote thing that I keep it all in and the kids know they can help themselves to anything in there.

I teach HS English and my supply list for them includes a binder, paper, notebook, pens, index cards, highlighters, and an independent reading book (which I go over with them but include in supplies because they need to bring it daily). I do like having the paper and notebook separate because I find the notebooks get too messy when they're constantly ripping pages out and they never tear off the edges either.

Everything I ask for I do also keep supplied in my classroom for kids who forget, run out, lose something, etc... it's just much easier that way. My kids are overall very responsible though so one box of pencils and one package of paper will last me a whole year.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:00 PM

My 8th grade students (ELA) need paper to use for assignments, a spiral notebook or composition book that stays in the room (journal), pencils, and a folder.

Math teachers require a 1” binder with 8 index tabs, notebook paper, pack of copier paper, graph paper, pencils, folder, and calculator.

We use highliters, dry-erase markers, colored pencils, scissors, and glue sometimes, but it’s easier to have a class set. We can’t require things like tissues, sanitizer, and wipes.

17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:06 PM

I already have calculators, lined paper and graph paper thankfully so the kids don't need to bring that. Copies are also not limited at my school. (I also have 100 boxes of fraction tiles...not sure what I'm going to do with these!)

I think I'd be fine purchasing a class set of scissors since I can reuse them every year but I want to wait on the markers and glue and maybe see what the other teachers are doing.

Did anyone purchase an electric hole puncher? My mentor teacher had one and it was amazing! I looked up the price on amazon and it was over $100! My scholarship also gives us $200 to spend on our classroom our first year and we'll get the supplies around November. I'm not sure what to buy with this money.

18. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:37 PM

Our copy machine can automatically hole punch so you may want to check if yours can do the same before making that investment.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  19. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:09 PM

If I was given a limited amount of money to spend in my classroom, I would focus on necessities that I could use year after year. I bought a lot of bins for organization in my first year and haven't regretted it. My most extravagant purchase was an electric sharpener to replace the manual one in my room.

The photocopier at school hole punches things and we have hole punches that everyone can use. I always see punches at Goodwill for less than five dollars. I picked up one for less than that to use at home and the model retails for about seventy-five dollars. It's not super fancy, but can punch a ton of pages at a time. You might like to look there and you'll be able to stretch your money even further.

Have you done any year planning or lesson planning? That might help you figure out the supplies your students will need.