Supply list help!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Mommyserenity, Jul 13, 2010.

1. lareed

lareed Companion

Jul 13, 2010

Our list is almost exactly the same. I prefer stick glue in 1st grade, otherwise the bottle glue gets everywhere. I also say 2 boxes of crayons. To help with the household items, I too ask for them to bring either gallon or quart ziploc bags. 2 notebooks and folders would be impt. too.

2. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jul 13, 2010

I really do not see how you can allow the students to use clorox wipes on their desks. The container of the bottle specifically states: Keep out of the reach of children. Not sure if I would allow my students to use/touch the wipes at the elementary level. I know we were warned by our administration.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2010

I used baby wipes in the classroom. Some people use shaving cream as a fun way to clean as well!!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2010

We aren't allowed to have them in our classrooms, even for teacher use.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2010

My niece isn't allowed to have the "hand cleaning" stuff in her school.

6. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

We are not allowed to use clorax wipes in my district because of allergies.

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2010

I think I heard we're not supposed to use clorox in our rooms. How you you guys know you're not supposed to? Is there a district handbook? Does your school give you a packet of rules? Just wondering... I want to find out for sure.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2010

We aren't allowed any cleaning products or chemicals (including soap or hand sanitizer) in our classrooms that are not supplied by our caretaking staff. Anything else is against our Health and Safety regulations--we have a "refresher" of these just before the new school year begins.

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2010

I also have my kids bring in one extra lunch money. They put it in a sealed envelope marked with their name on it just in case they run out of money or forget their lunch. If it is unused, I send it home on the last day. It has come in SO handy.

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2010

I did this for 3 years... and always forgot to give it to them at the end of the year! :eek:

I stopped doing this last year. Once the child's account gets low, our cafeteria gives them a stamp and I give them a reminder slip. this gives them a few days to put money in their account. I found I rarely used the money since they had warnings as soon as their account was under $5 (which gives them several days to eat without adding money).

However, if we did not use the electronic system, I would totally do the emergency lunch money fund.

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 14, 2010

trayums Thankfully, I don't have to handle lunch money! Our school doesn't have a full cafeteria and everyone brings their own lunches from home each day. Chick Fil A is brought in on Wednesdays, but students (and teachers) must pre order for the month with their tuition payments so teachers don't have to handle money on that end.

My girls' public school does the electronic system as well and parents are notified via the system (and teacher too) when it gets under $5. Teachers at their school were warned not to ask for lunch money and to leave it to the cafeteria to sort out if a child can't pay for lunch. they provide them with a lunch..just not the same "paid" lunch or something. I always keep $10 or so in my girls' accounts in case they ever forget their lunches (they don't eat school food) just to be on the safe side.

12. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 14, 2010

I believe that the warning on the container refers to keeping it out of their reach so that they do not ingest it. I definitely keep it in a supply closet out of their reach, give instructions on what they are allowed to do with them (touch their desks only, obviously), and supervise them as they do it. I have never felt unsafe in doing so, but to each his own and obviously if your administration has told you not to, then it's a big no-no.

But...sheesh. I think this might be a case of protecting kids to the point of not allowing them to develop common sense.

13. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jul 15, 2010

Maybe it is different in your state, but we are not allowed to have anything in our classrooms that does not have a Material Safety Data Sheet. Sorry, but the outside chemicals you are bringing into the classroom without the product being pre-approved, I would not risk it. Who becomes at fault if the student has an allergic reaction to some type of cleaning material you bring in? Or if they happen to touch their eye and it becomes irritated? Sorry, but I am not putting my students in harm risk, nor will I put my job on the line. I was simply making mention that you might want to check with your district as many of them have safety regulations they must follow from the state.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2010

I may have missed this, but I would say a packet of those erasers that go on top of your pencil or a big pink eraser (I found those got picked at).

15. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

It is district policy where I teach. Our district handbook is online on the district's website. We are required to read and sign a statement saying we read and understood the district's policies.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  16. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

Eek! I'd better look into this more! I had parents donate tons of clorox wipes. If I can't use them at school, I'm sure I can use them at home. ;)