Sunshine Committee

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrsammieb, Sep 8, 2018.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 8, 2018

Hey everyone! I was wondering how your sunshine committee works at your school? How much are dues? What do the dues go to? We have a BIG staff and we have a LOT of things on our budget but no one really wants to pay the dues? I need advice.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2018

It's been anywhere from $15-$25, and they usually put together a few different luncheons/meals together, as well as little pick-me-ups throughout the year. The dues are completely optional, but requested.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 8, 2018

$10, optional. Used for baby and wedding gifts as well as cards/flowers for family deaths. If there is a big need for something then staff is asked for additional money that will go to that specific person. It started to be inequitable with some people getting a lot of recognition and others none at all so I stopped participating.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 8, 2018

We have a flower fund to send flowers to funerals. Otherwise, we just take up money when something comes up. The flower fund doesn’t even need to be replenished yearly.

MrTempest likes this.
  6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 8, 2018

We just collect money as things come up as well. People put in whatever they want for the occasion. It seems to work well.

MrTempest likes this.
  7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 8, 2018

We don't have one. However, when someone has a new baby, people volunteer to provide meals through one of those online signups.
    If someone is sick for an extended period of time, folks volunteer to give up days to help them.
    We have had some diagnoses of cancer, and that has garnered more fundraising types of events.

8. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Sep 8, 2018

$10 - Ours is used for funeral acknowledgement and for people who are ill. For other occasions, we take up a collection.

MrTempest likes this.
  9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 9, 2018

When I first started, we were expected to pay $30 in dues for things like potlucks and baby/wedding shower gifts. The really annoying thing was that every time there was a baby/wedding shower, individual teams still brought in gifts, so I also had to contribute $10 for my team gift for every shower. We were also still expected to contribute side dishes and dessert for the potlucks. For a couple of years there was an argument from the younger teachers who thought doing both was overkill and that the committee with dues was outdated, and the older teachers who made the "we've always done it this way" argument.

Finally, enough of the older teachers retired that we were able to get rid of the committee and dues. Teams plan showers, we've done away with the potlucks, and the wellness committee picks a place for happy hour and sends out an invite once per month. Those who choose to attend just pay for their own drinks and food. I much prefer things this way.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 9, 2018

$20 dues that are optional but strongly suggested. It covers cake for showers, Secretary’s Day gifts, Boss’s Day gifts, Christmas gifts for the P and AP, farewell blankets for staff members who leave at the end of the year (the blanket is embroidered with their years of service at the school), cards/ flowers for deaths, severe illnesses, etc. If more money is needed, an email is sent out.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 9, 2018

Ours is $25 and optional. It goes to buy flowers and cards for people who have experienced a loss or some other personal tragedy, as well as to provide celebrations and gifts for people are going through a special moment in their lives. It's pretty open-ended, and there are no hard and fast rules about what the money is spent on. Very very rarely money is collected throughout the year for other purposes, but nearly everything comes out of the $25 fund.

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 9, 2018

I haven't heard anything about ours yet. However, apparently our school does ask teachers to donate to buy prizes for students. I would give to the sunshine committee but I wouldn't give anything for student prizes!

13. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Sep 10, 2018

$20 whenever funds need to be replenished (this is my 6th year here and only the 2nd time they have requested funds). They give a card and monetary memorial for family deaths and flowers for hospitalizations (surgery, having a baby, etc.).

14. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 15, 2018

We don't have one but so far this year (I think we are in week 5 or 6) it's been about 20 bucks for teacher birthdays, or other special days and then a teacher friday asked us to each sponsor a kid or two (about 5 bucks) for an event coming up and somehow it grew to us each being asked to put in 20 bucks for it. what? I'm irked and I make enough, but we have one student teacher who makes much less and of course he's not going to say no....he doesn't want to stick out. If this continues I may ask the principal to put a lid on all these sponsorship drives. If teachers want to quietly pay for stuff that's fine, but not in a way that makes others uncomfortable. As for the birthdays and such...I have always hated all of it, but do it...but man, this year just seems like a lot.

15. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Sep 17, 2018

Wow! That is quite a bit! For teacher birthdays we do a potluck one day each month to celebrate all birthdays for that month. The only extra we do is when there are bridal and baby showers and then everyone is responsible for getting whatever they feel (or nothing at all, there is no "requirement" to even attend).

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2018

We are asked for $25 at the beginning of each school year. This covers cards and flowers for illnesses, bereavement, etc. as well as gifts for teachers who are leaving or retiring. It also covers part of the cost of our end-of-year staff party. There are optional collections for babies and weddings.

17. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Sep 22, 2018

Ours is $25. However, we get a $10 Amazon gift card (if we join). I would rather just pay $15 and not get the gift card.