Summer School....HELP, Please!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher234, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Jul 2, 2018

Hello, everyone! I understand that it is now summer and typically, teachers are not fully focused on teaching. Every summer, I teach summer school for about 5 weeks. In previous years, I would teach second grade, third grade, fourth grade, and some special education. Occasionally, I taught a kindergarten behavior classroom in the summer. You know....grades and classroom settings that were in my wheelhouse.
    This year, I was assigned to teach a High School Science class. The science class is a mix of special education and general education. This science class is Living Environment/Biology with Lab, which is designed for 9th graders. I am teaching 9th graders, 10th graders, and some 11th graders (well...they were in the grade during the recent school year).
    PROBLEM: I have only taught high school English for 3 years at the beginning of my teaching career. I would like to know some information about teaching High School, such as 21st century high school students, behaviors, instructional styles, and personalities. Please help, as I start teaching this class on Thursday. (I found out about this in an email that was sent an hour ago.)

3. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 2, 2018

Hi! You're right in my neighborhood! (High school science is what I teach). Firstly do you have a lesson plan ready? Either you've created or is provided for you? Secondly will you have classroom help or are you on your own? Living environment/biology/Earth science is probably thankfully one of the easier courses you could have been saddled with. It's also one of the easiest courses that you can provide real World examples of. (Biology being the study of life, living things are what's considered and hopefully your students are living things). The class is designed for freshmen, so it's an entry-level, beginning course. You're going to have students who obviously do not care (I'm wagering the older students either have learning disadvantages or are in the don't care category) which case probably nothing you do is going to help. You can't force a student to care about their success. Let's chat, I'll help what I can!

4. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Jul 2, 2018

Hello. Thank you replying. I was not provided with a direct lesson plan, but given a bunch of key idea packets. I have been given an answer key and am going to have to wing it. I teach a little bit about the human body in my classroom (during the school year). With that said, I have limited biology knowledge. To my knowledge, I am the only teacher. (I am a special education teacher.) I am used to always finding a new and specialized way of teaching a student........how can this be used in the high school classroom?

5. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 2, 2018

I would teach from the packets, to be perfectly honest with you. Biology is really not that hard of a subject to teach. I find that providing real-World examples helps to bring the material home for the students. And with bio that's incredibly easy to do. Everything from ants to plants to humans to whales are covered under the general grouping of biology.

6. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Jul 2, 2018

Thank you so much for your help! I would like to know if there are any behaviors in high school and particular management strategies that should be used (high school has most likely changed a lot since I taught it-in the late 90s). In my classroom, I manage a lot of academic, social, physical, and behavioral difficulties and needs, but am wondering how different teaching high school would be.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2018

The behaviors are bigger, the ways that they can find to do bare minimum, with a ton of attitude about it will be mind boggling. Face it, most of them are there because they already failed, and they will blame you for their lack of success. I would use as much hand's on in the classroom as possible. You can't teach them what you would during a regular school year, so break this down into chunks that teach major principles, and find ways to use tried and true experiments that are closer to fun than work. Minimize lectures, encourage group research and embrace assessments that are creative and engaging. Although I am rehabbing from knee surgery, I will see if hubby will bring my computer to me, and I might have some fun activities I can share with you. If not, visit the Free Resources and links that is a pinned thread here on the forums. There is so much listed there, all free. It is not strictly science, although heavily headed in that direction; I am, after all, a bio and sped teacher.

8. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Jul 2, 2018

Thank you for the tips. High school is way out of my wheelhouse. I currently a special class in an elementary school. I am planning on having the students complete the key idea packets that I was provided and engage in the four state labs. In addition, we will prepare for the Regents LE Exam. High school students sound difficult (but having the extra teaching job is really fun and challenging, though).
    I will plan for my students to work on the key idea packets, watch a video, and complete a project. I will give a quiz and then move on to the next packet. The last week will be the state labs and review for the regents LE exam. After the summer make-up course is complete, students will take the August 2018 Regents LE Exam. How does this idea sound?

Aces likes this.
  9. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 2, 2018

Sounds like a plan. Someone else said it, they've already failed once.

Low and behold... We took the kidos bowling for their birthday (they're twins). When I got home I had a letter from the district 'requesting my presence' for summer school starting Monday. It's freshman-grade history. Well this is going to be interesting... 4 days/wk, for 4 weeks, so not completely awful. But definitely puts a wrench into my summer plans. So I suppose you and I are in the same boat! Guess what... Three days of reading, test on Thursday. Pass or fail, people.

10. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Jul 5, 2018

Update: Yesterday went well and today is almost over.
    It turns out I only have 18 students. A fourth of the class has an IEP.
    Yesterday, we discussed the syllabus. We also watched a video to introduce experimental design. Students took notes and were asked to complete a worksheet packet.
    Quiz given today; all students passed it

This class is actually interesting. Nice to do something out of my wheelhouse.

11. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Aug 4, 2018

Update: The living environment/bio summer school class is going fairly well. A few occasional issues, but everyone is passing! We are preparing for the August regents exam. The Key idea packets are finished and students are working on powerpoints.