Summer reading suggestions for teacher new to K

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by NYteacherNmom, May 27, 2011.

1. NYteacherNmom

NYteacherNmom Rookie

May 27, 2011

Hi all... I am going into my 9th year teaching, having spent my entire experience thus far teaching AIS/remedial math for gr. 3-5. With cuts this year I will be in a new building teaching kindergarten. I am super excited and feeling a bit rejuvenated about starting something new...with a bit of nervousness thrown in :)

Anyway I am looking for some good summer reads to help me get settled and wrap my head around setting up a Kdg classroom and teaching ELA. My district uses Lucy Calkins Units of Study and F & P Guided Reading, so I will have those to help guide me.

Any suggestions?
    We use The Morning Meeting Book, and I was thinking about the First Six Weeks book? Anything related to K specifically would be wonderful :) Thanks!

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 27, 2011

I am a first year K teacher and I love kindergarten. It is the best! I am so glad to hear you are happy about the move to K!!!! I do not know how anyone could survive in K without just absolutely loving it!

I love Debbie Diller's Spaces and Places (not k specific)
    Kindergarten in Pictures
    500+ Fabulous Month By Month Teaching Ideas- it is a scholastic book- some great ideas in there for K. I generally enjoy these type books, but I never actually use them- this one though I actually did and LOVED! A definite keeper!
    The Cornerstone (again not K specific)
    Literacy Centers In Photographs

I have more favs, but they are at school and I cannot recall the names of the top of my head.
    Also just a favorite education book, I love is LouAnne Johnson's Queen of Education. I love LouAnne Johnson- she was high school though.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

May 29, 2011

I think the first 6 weeks of school is a must - plust reread the Morning Meeting book with an eye towards K. :)

5. pianowoman41

pianowoman41 New Member

Jun 3, 2011

I would recommend Jan Richardson's book "The Next Step in Guided Reading", and Debbie Diller's book: Making the Most of Small Groups--Differentiation for All. Debbie D has some great ideas on how to begin small groups with K kids who do not know many letters, sounds, or are Tier 3 kids after beginning of the year testing. Of course, staying connected to this board, then one at proteacher, and the one at teachers-net is a great idea!