Summer Reading Slide - Article

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, Jun 11, 2017.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2017

http://www.booksourcebanter.com/201...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    I thought that this was an interesting article/study info. Does your school have any kind of program that provides books over the summer or let's them check out some from the school library? (Yes, they can use the public library, and that's good to learn too)

Makes me wonder about the money our school uses for AR...if that could be used for something like this! While I used AR this year, it was with no requirements (and solely to track our words read ;) ), and our class had almost twice as much growth compared to others.

Obadiah likes this.
  3. whizkid

whizkid Rookie

Jun 13, 2017

There would have to be personnel there to check them out to students. Our local library does however have a summer reading program. Our school sends out summer reading lists every summer.

4. whizkid

whizkid Rookie

Jun 13, 2017

And yes, the summer slide is a very real thing.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2017

(Ack, that was a silly spelling mistake: lets instead of let's!)

It would probably be something at the end of the school year (i.e. ordering the books from Amazon or something in the last couple weeks, or having them go through the library to check out some books if just borrowing a chunk). And I think the article is pointing out that the reading list by itself wouldn't solve the problem, but instead getting books in the hands of the kids.

I let kids take a book or two of mine over the summer if they're not moving to challenge the continuing to read...and also was already able to talk to the counselor about being able to get a few more books into the hands of another kiddo. Here's hoping that I can perhaps drive it to become something bigger within our school for those students who don't have as easy access!

whizkid likes this.