Summer Professional Development

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Jun 14, 2011.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 14, 2011

I'm only a week and a half in to summer, and I've already earned 24 hours of professional development. Our district is awesome in that if we take 18 approved hours in the summer, we get those days waived during the school year. :)

So far I've taken a week long course on "Classroom Instruction That Works". It was really good with a wonderful presenter. She very much embraced the web2.0 philosophy, and because I'm on a one-to-one campus that was really helpful. She had some great free tools for us to use on the net, and she gave us a lot of time to explore and discuss.

Later this summer I have a mandatory 2 day training on our new state assessment, but my best friend is giving it, so I'm sure it will be good.

At the end of the summer, my district is bringing in Kelly Gallagher ( of Readicide, Deeper Reading, Reading Reasons fame) and Jeff Anderson (Everyday Editing, Mechanically Inclined)! Each is giving a one day workshop, and I can't WAIT. Our district bought the grammar/writing series that they both contributed to, so they will be out often over the next year or so. I'm definitely going to be a bit like a groupie with them and at least get my books autographed. :wub:

Is anyone else taking some good classes this summer?

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 14, 2011

I'm jealous! Kelly Gallagher is one of my faves!

I'm attending an all day conference on Friday. It is put together but our state dept of ed. AND, it is at KU ... :)

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2011

I did over 100 hours last summer by participating in a Writing Project summer institute, so I'm taking it easy this year! Through the WP I spent a morning a couple of Saturdays ago with Doug Fisher and Nancy Frey on providing effective professional development, and later this month Sheridan Blau will be doing a day with this year's summer institute participants, and I'll drop in on that.

I've seen Kelly present several times--lucky you, to have him for an entire day! He's great.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2011

Great stuff! I love quality PD!

I'm taking a comprehension strategies workshop as soon as school ends. Later in July, I'm taking a 4 day Writing Institute.:cool:

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2011

We have so much to do with the new standards and other significant changes that I'll have no time (or interest, to be honest) to invest in additional PD opportunities. It's all about these major shifts this summer.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 14, 2011

I'm jealous. I keep getting e-mails from our district of pd's that I signed up for being cancelled :(. They are "restructuring" professional dev. department i.e. pink slipping people. I considered going to see Debbie Diller when she's here but I've gone the past 2 years, so I don't know if I can justify the expense to my P.

I just read Readicide-I'm sure that will be a great workshop.:thumb:

8. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2011

I am spending many hours this summer on PD. All in another field outside of education. Still hard to be motivated during the summer time.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2011

I'm taking an on-line writing course that began at the end of May and runs until mid-August. I've also registered for a 3-day workshop on technology. If I can squeeze them in (between soccer road trips with Lauren) I'm also looking at another one or two multi-day technology workshops.

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to be taking a 6 week Singapore math model drawing course on-line starting in July. I'm looking forward to it since it will be my first on-line class and anything math is right up my alley.

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

I have taken two 3 hour courses so far in science. I also did some things with restructuring curriculum. I have one more 3 hour course for science, another 3 hour course in writing, and 2 full STEM training days. Can you tell we are having a STEM push? Go race to the top lol.

12. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 15, 2011

For those of you who travel to PD (like NCTE) or do these week long seminars -- how do you get it funded?? I think our school has a cap at something like $200/year for each teacher. I NEED good PD as a new teacher and I just can't figure out how to get funded for all this great stuff!

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 15, 2011

Student teach, every school and district is probably different, but if I've learned one thing, it's to be the squeaky wheel. Ask your principal for money, if he/she says no, ask the curriculum director for your district. If he/she says no, see if they can combine together and help you fund part of it at least. Promise to come back and present to the rest of the staff. Just ask and ask and ask. For 10 "no" responses you might get 1 "yes".

What size is your district? We have something called Region Service Centers that provide inservice to all the districts in our area. Do you have something like that? If so, ask them for funding, too!

14. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

Jealous! There seems to be a dearth of PD around me.