Summer Jobs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, May 30, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

May 30, 2018

Does anyone have good ideas for summer jobs for teachers? I will be a new teacher next year and I am looking for a summer job to start saving money to buy a wardrobe, etc. for next year. Luckily, I am living at home for the summer so I do not need to worry about other expenses.

My ideal job would be to tutor but I am not sure how to get started with getting clients to tutor. I was thinking about applying for summer school teaching jobs but I really did not feel like lesson planning, etc. I wouldn't mind working as an aide for summer school but I haven't seen job postings near me. I want a pretty low stress job for this summer. I have applied to learning centers like Huntington and Sylvan but most of them do not want to hire just for the summer. I have an interview with Mathnasium and they are looking for someone to tutor high school level kids. I think it is a similar learning center to Huntington and Sylvan. I would have to take a test and I am going in tomorrow. I know they don't play well at all (about 12-15 dollars/hour). I'm honestly not sure if I will even pass the test because it could be very hard! I would need to do a serious refresher before teaching something like Calculus.

There is a part of me that kind of wants to work for retail. For example, I love Bath and Body Works and I would not mind working there this summer, especially if it pays the same as a learning center job!

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 30, 2018

Have you thought of a tutoring center? Like Mathnasium? They are always looking for quality teachers. I personally always tried to stay away from school stuff and do a different type of job just to give my brain a break. When I was younger I would go to a temp agency and just work day to day at different places.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

May 30, 2018

Yes, I have applied to Mathnasium. That is the center where I have to go in and take a test tomorrow. I think the pay is about $12 per hour.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 30, 2018

I've always nannied for older kids when I worked in the summer. I mostly just shuttled them to activities, fed them lunch, etc... it was very easy and enjoyable!

6. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

May 30, 2018

Are you a swimmer? I always taught swim lessons or babysat for a summer job. I do think that you could go for a tutoring center and just not tell them that you are quitting after the summer. I used to tutor at Sylan in the evenings after school, so they could presumably think that you'll stick around - with fewer hours - once the school year begins. They'll only know that's not your plan if you tell them.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

May 30, 2018

I should have done that!! I told the tutoring centers around me that it is just for the summer. Sigh...

I'm unfortunately not a swimmer!

8. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

May 30, 2018

Does your town run summer camps for kids? Mine does and they love people with ed. backgrounds. The CC I work for also runs summer classes for kids.

If you're thinking about retail for the summer, consider any employee discount benefits. B&BW is cool, but not the most useful in terms of discounts. Think about a bookstore or smaller clothing store like Loft or Banana Republic.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

May 31, 2018

I would say a clothing store so you will get a discount for new clothes!

teacherintexas likes this.
  10. poortester

poortester New Member

May 31, 2018

I worked at the Loft and got great discounts on clothes for work! They also pay a little better than most retailers. I kept this job through the school year and as long as you worked a four hour shift like once every other week (maybe even month), you could keep your job and get the discount.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jun 1, 2018

That sounds great! I worked in a clothing store a few years ago and was able to get discounts in that store plus other "sister" stores.

12. rpan

rpan Comrade

Jun 1, 2018

You could try sites like air tasker which will give you a variety of jobs, control over when and how much you work and the prices you charge.

13. Curriculum Chef

Curriculum Chef Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

Ms. Holyoke,

What about teaching English online to adults? English Live is a company that specializes in teaching English to adult business people. It pays $12 an hour, the interview process is pretty simple, and you get to choose your own hours. Clients are mostly from China and Brazil, but you'll have people from everywhere! It's a really cool gig (I work for them currently), and they have been currently looking for English teachers.

If you go to my website, Curriculum Chef Blog , you'll find an article titled, "Summer To-Do List for Bored Teachers". In that post, item #5 has the link that you can use to apply to work for English Live!

Private message me if you'd like more information! :) Good luck!

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 1, 2018

If I lived in a bigger city, I'd consider working at a clothing store. Unfortunately, we don't have any here, and there is no way I'm going to drive 50-100 miles round trip every day for a retail job I don't have to have.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2018

Golf course! Caddy, lawn mower, beverage cart, bartender...BIG bucks and clears the mind after teaching.

16. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 1, 2018

Theme parks or educational centers that pays for temporary graders like Pearson learning center

17. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Jun 1, 2018

If you are living at home, I would consider something that will make you more money in the long-run: continuing your education. Take a handful of classes towards your masters, or if you already have a masters, take a handful of classes towards +30, or whatever your district offers.

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2018

How much do you make grading at Pearson learning centers?

19. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 2, 2018

Try the local golf club. They always need people to pick up balls or other debris - tree limbs, grass clippings. Good practice for your classroom. I had mountains of trash to pick up my first year!

20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Jun 7, 2018

I have an interview with Huntington Learning Center on Monday. I have had trouble getting other learning center jobs because I am only looking for summer employment. I'm not sure if I should just not tell them that I am only looking for a summer job. I am also taking a vacation the first week of July but I hope that's ok.

I think I just need something that will get me out of the house! Hopefully this works out. Otherwise, I am going to look into retail.

21. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Jun 7, 2018

I am actually taking 2 classes right now to get my sped certification. They are mostly online and they haven't been too much work yet! I just got them approved by my district for extra masters credits.

mrsf70 likes this.