Summer Help

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by 1234, May 14, 2012.

1. 1234

1234 Rookie

May 14, 2012

Looking for topics and worksheets to get 1st graders ready for second grade.

3. Lysander

Lysander Companion

May 19, 2012

A big help would be to have them complete a basic story map for each book they read over the summer (maybe one a week). The basics of characters, setting, problem/solution or beginning/middle/end. Also anything that helps them work on basic math facts (especially anything that helps them see the connection between addition and subtraction, fact families). Drawing and labeling parts of a flowering plant for science. Drawing and labeling a map of their neighborhood for social studies. Sorry I don't have specific resources, but these are a few ideas. Have a great and restful summer!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2012

Practicing math facts is a biggie for me, as is reading and doing simple story maps that involve basic story elements. :)

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 2, 2012

I agree 100% with leighbball. In the letter that 1st grade parents receive from the second grade teachers the parents are told that math facts for addition will begin with the 6's. Thus their child must know 0 - 5 when entering 2nd grade in Sept. We also send home the Dolch list saying these words need to be learned as sight words by Sept. This really gives us a heads up as to who helped their child over the summer.

6. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 5, 2012

Math facts is a big area at our school and we push this with our parents as a way to keep their kids ready, and moving, over the summer before second grade. I have also recommended work in reading comprehension since I had quite a few kids who read well, but often don't read closely and for detail.

7. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jun 24, 2012

I always encourage first grade parents to have their children read and write over the summer. Writing can be as simple as short journal entries or postcards sent from vacations, etc. I also encourage them to have their children practice counting coins over the summer, and practice using the calendar. Just having discussions about how many days / weeks there are until an upcoming vacation or since school got out, for example, can be very helpful.