Summer Craft Ideas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrsp1104, Jul 6, 2007.

1. mrsp1104

mrsp1104 Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

This is my first Summer working as a Summer Camp teacher and I am in need of some good craft ideas. Please help!

3. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

Wind socks are fun to make. You need a long rectangle of paper, I usually use oak tag, about 7"x18". The students decorate with markers, crayons, etc. Turn over and glue strips of colored tissue paper or streamers all along the bottom edge. Roll into a cylinder and staple the short ends together. Punch 2 holes on opposite sides of the top, thread a piece of string through and tie. The streamers blow in the wind and look colorful.

4. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Jul 9, 2007

we make a big bb of under water creature that the children create and they tell us a little about there creature and them pick it under there creature. the parents love this. we use a little of everything to make them.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 9, 2007

6. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Jul 9, 2007

mrsp - need more info please....
    you are teaching summer camp...preschool or school age children?
    do you have any themes or just need some anytime projects?
    i can give you a lot of ideas...but need to know the above first.

7. mrsp1104

mrsp1104 Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I am teaching summer camp. My kids are 3 years old. I have no particular theme. I must need some fun craft ideas. Thank you!

8. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

ok, here are some ideas...

Cup faces with grass hair
    Materials needed: paper cups, markers, crayons or paper & yarn scraps, potting soil & grass seed.
    Directions: Have the children decorate the outside of the cup as a face, either draw a face or glue items on to make one. Then using potting soil, plant grass seed in the cup. Keep moist and watch the hair grow

Hug-em hats
    Materials needed: one large coffee can (or other round cylindar object approx. 8" diameter), thin paper, like newsprint approx 9"x18", masking tape, markers, scraps of any art supplies.
    Directions: place coffee can (upside down) on table in front of child, place two pieces of paper on top making an X with them, centered over the bottom of the can. Have the child "hug" the can...pressing the paper down on the sides of the can. While the child is hugging the can, run the tape around the can (on the paper) a few inches down from the top (which is actually the bottom of the can). Remove the paper from the can and put it on the child's head to round the top. It looks like a big rimmed hat. Decorate any way they like. (hopefully this is not too confusing...hard to explain. I have a couple pictures if you want to pm me with your e-mail address)

Marble paint
    Materials needed: shallow boxes, marbles, paint, plastic spoons, construction paper
    Directions: put paint into small cups, put 2-3 marbles into each cup, put paper into box. usint the spoons, put the marbles into the box and let the children roll around to paint the paper. You can cut the paper into a shape either before the paint or after they are dry.

Tissue paper painting
    Materials needed: small pieces (1" squares) of different colored tissue paper, spray bottles of water, white construction paper, paper towels.
    Directions: cut the construction paper into any shape, or leave rectangular. Spray the entire paper with a mist of water to dampen. Have the children place pieces of tissue all over their paper. Spray again to wetten the tissue. Have the children remove the tissues from their paper (and place on paper towel to be thrown away) their paper will be painted with blended colors from the tissue. (fingers will be stained for a while from this project)

Summer visors
    Materials needed: tagboard (or posterboard), yarn, markers, crayons or paint
    Directions: Cut out a visor shape (like a crescent moon) from the tagboard. Have the children decorate any way they like. Punch a hole in each end and tie a piece of yarn on to fit their head.

Hopefully some of these are what you are looking for. It's getting late...will add more over the weekend.