Suggestions on 'HOME ECONOMICS" CSET

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Day2DaySub, May 22, 2005.

1. Day2DaySub

Day2DaySub New Member

May 22, 2005

anyone taken it?
    if so what are good study materials for this exam? i am a horrible test taker :mad:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2005

Start by having a look at the Subject Matter Requirements document, which is part of the Test Guide for the test (www.cset.nesinc.com, click on the Test Guides button, then rummage around a little). The test is brand new. Try asking who's taken the SSAT or Praxis II in home ec.

4. delvalish2

delvalish2 Rookie

May 27, 2005

Social Science: Econ

I was wondering if home economics is the same as the economic section in the social science portion of the CSET? I'm planning to take subtest III in July and I went to my local library (I didn't want to buy any more books since I want to become a history teacher!) and picked up several books that were not too old. Try the library if you find yourself short on cash, some of the books that you'll find are pretty basic for an introduction.
    I was wondering if anyone knew the kind of topics that would be on the essay portion of the test. This is the first time I'm learning econ so I want to get an idea of what to expect on the exam. Thanks!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2005

Home economics used to be what schools offered for girls when the guys were taking woodshop. It didn't have a whole lot in common with economics of the social-science sort, though I gather there's a lot more to it now (including hospitality-industry issues... could be some economics there, definitely).

You mention wanting to be a history teacher, which suggests that you should take CSET Single Subjects Social Science, but your reference to "the social science portion" makes me think you're taking CSET Multiple Subjects. It makes a fairly radical difference in what you prepare for (though possibly less difference in what you buy than you might think - there are some history books packaged for kids that are well worth adults' attention). The econ. in the Multiple Subjects exam is pretty basic: read the Subject Matter Requirements document on the CSET Web site for more information, but it runs along the lines of supply/demand and the different basic types of economies. Doesn't hurt to think about how economics shapes history and culture and vice versa.