Suggestion to deal with Over burden parents

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ECheung, Jan 9, 2017.

1. ECheung

ECheung New Member

Jan 9, 2017

I am seeking advice.

I encountered one parent who constantly asked question how his 8th grade daughter doing at least once a week. Then, he would constantly tried to remind me what he wanted his daughter being able to achieve.

Since we are working at a learning center, parents got to wait outside the classroom at every class. I have already politely told him 2 things:

1) let's give your daughter some room to grow. Let her tell him how she does every week .
    2) Give her some faith that she can be responsible for herself. Communicate with the daughter with her progress and ask her to be responsible to report to him every week if he really feels it is necessary.
    3) If I feel there is an issue with her progress, I'll contact him. There is no need to have to talk to me at the end of every class.
    4) i have already created a syllabus, and he can look at the syllabus to see what progression she should be at.

Problem is that he constantly wanted me to push his daughter harder. He would tell me almost once a week about "what he wants his daughter to do..." .

Suggestion!?

3. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Jan 10, 2017

Do you send home graded work?

I send home a graded test each week. When a parent is interested in their child's progress, I suggest they sit down with their child and go over what the student missed on the test.

Backroads likes this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2017

Honestly I think that your response to the parent seems fair. Have you talked to your administrator about this? What does that person suggest?

5. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2017

I also think your response is just fine. She is an 8th grader... should this not be a time when she needs to start taking responsibility for most of her learning instead of sitting back hoping the teacher gives her lots of hard work?

If he wants her to be pushed, there are plenty of opportunities for that outside of your classroom. Not to say a good teacher doesn't attempt to appropriate challenge, but the full responsibility is hardly with you.

Ask him what they are doing outside of the classroom to further her learning.

6. ECheung

ECheung New Member

Jan 11, 2017

We offer Computer Science to a level not commonly available for high school level. They are working on college level capacity. I have very clear syllabus online for parents to follow if they wish to push her farther. However, I made it very clear to them I welcomed progress, and she will keep charging onto the next challenge ONLY IF she manages to finish the work I assigned.

I have made a suggestion to involve the girl to create her project, and I'll help her to ensure her own project will involve the level of programming and robotic challenge. They first loved the idea. Then, all the sudden they came back to tell me they decided to go back to the programming class and continue; and totally disregarded my recommendation to get their daughter self-motivated. They are stifling chance of her potential of creativity . I have to figure out a way to tell them off.