Successful Canned Food Drive Ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss JE, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Oct 31, 2009

I am in charge of our student council this year and will be running a food drive in November. A few ideas we have come up with got shot down so now I am desperately trying to find a successful, simple idea. I don't want to ask the teachers to do very much since we have so much going on right now but I do want it to be a success since it is the only one of the year!

Anyone have suggestions that have worked well in the past?

3. Behavior Guru

Behavior Guru Rookie

Oct 31, 2009

As a student council advisor for many years, I sponsored several canned food drives. Have a competition for the class that brings in the most cans. Pick up the food daily and announce the classes that are in the lead. Have the council members do a walk-a-thon or other-a-thon. Our members would do an eight mile walk along a walking trail. They would get sponsors to pledge one can per mile. Most students would get at least ten sponsors. The members themselves could easily bring in a thousand cans using this strategy. It's also a great time to get together to do something fun. Another idea that worked for us, was to have grocery stores donate large quantities of paper bags. The students then design, copy, and staple a really nice message to each bag telling about the purpose of the food drive and when and where the bags will be picked up. (Sunday morning, before 10 am, by the mailbox.) The more information, bhe better. Have students leave the bags at homes in their neighborhood. I personally placed bags on two streets in my neighborhood, and collected about four hundred cans. Most neighbors were very supportive. Some left additional bags and or boxes of food items as well. Don't forget to have thankyou cards already made up in advance to leave at each residence as they pick up the bag. I hope these ideas help you and others that are trying to organize holiday food drives. Good luck to you.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2009

I thnk that what works best for our kids is seeing the face of hunger, and knowing that it's right next door or around the corner.

We ran a food drive last year for Island Harvest-- a local Long Island group. Before we started, we had an assembly and the kids saw a video. The members of the school community actually interviewed some of the homeless from the neighboring communities, and interviewed the people from Island Harvest as to what it's like to be hungry, and as to what it's like to be homeless.

Then, any kid who wanted one was invited to stop by and pick up a brown paper grocery bag. On mine was stapled : "Breakfast items-- cereal, hot chocolate, etc." So I went to the supermaket and filled it up with cereal and oatmeal and hot chocolate and tea bags. Instead of grabbing 2 cans of soup from my pantry, I went to the supermarket with sort of a shopping list.

We displayed the items as they arrived, sorted into food type. I'm in a large school-- over 2,600 kids. We were all breathless at the amount of food that was collected. It was the largest food drive ever held for Island Harvest, and we fed a LOT of people.

We did a similar thing the year before when we had a drive for a NYC homeless shelter: the kids saw a video of the men who lived at the shelter, at what it did and what it hoped to accomplish. Then anyone who wanted it was assigned a particular item: I had "mens size L sweater." We were told that these men deserved the dignity of new items-- that other drives were about used clothing, this was about new. So we got a huge variety of really useful items, not some stuff that no one wanted anymore.

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

maybe you can have a contest where each grade could be in charge of the different types of canned goods...Personally, I'd forget the contest and just have the canned food drive. :)
    Ex:
    Kinder = canned milk
    1st & 2nd = canned meats
    3rd = canned veggies
    4th = canned soups
    5th = canned fruit

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 31, 2009

Last year the kids decorated paper lunch sacks and took them home, filled them, and returned them full of canned goods. The food bank actually used the bags to hand out food to some of the people with the messages from the kids (no last names). Almost every kid in my class brought their bag back and many asked for more bags.

7. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Oct 31, 2009

My grade level set up free homework passes( our canned food drive is for a week).

If a student brings in 2 cans they can have a homework pass for one math sheet. So, if they bring in four cans, they don't have any math homework for one night.

8. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Oct 31, 2009

Thank you for the great ideas! I will bring them to the student council!

Keep the ideas coming!!! :)

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2009

At my son's university, the students dress up and go door to door with the trick-or-treaters collecting canned food for the local food bank.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

Our student PTSA does a food drive for our local food bank, and the homeroom that collects the most gets a pizza party.

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

This probably won't help you, but since others are sharing ideas:

The school I ST at did a "Souper Bowl" the week of the Super Bowl. Kids "voted" for which team they thought would win by putting their items in one of the two boxes. Each day the items were counted and the "score" was announced. The kids really wanted to make sure their team "won"

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

That's a fun idea!

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 31, 2009

My school has a tradition. Classes are paired early in the year as partners. When it comes time for the November canned food drive, partner classes work together to collect as many canned/boxed food goods as possible. Then, the Friday before Thanksgiving break, all the classes go down to the social hall for a sculpture contest. Parner classes sit together. Upper classes build (everything must touch the floor) and younger classes cheer. There is a theme for the sculptures which is decided by the SC which they announce at the kickoff. Partner classes decide on design that fits the theme they wish to build. After 10 minutes of building the sculptures are judged for fun 1st, 2nd, 3rd place (the specials teachers get this honor since they are supposed to be impartial.)

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2009

Love that idea, runsw/scissors!

We had a couple of groups of trick-or-treaters tonight who didn't want candy but were collecting food for the food drive.

15. goopp

goopp Devotee

Oct 31, 2009

Our student council has a food drive every December. We make it easy on ourselves by not having a contest, just collecting canned goods. We "wrap the school in kindness" by lining the halls with canned goods. Then on the last day the sc members gather all the food and box it up. There are about 700 students and we collect enough to totally fill up a van from the group we donate to.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

I like THAT idea goopp! I'll have to write it down for the next donation drive we hold. maybe not canned goods, but something else.

17. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Nov 1, 2009

Our student council does a food drive every Nov I CAN you CAN, we CAN make a difference. The winning classes (one upper grade, one primary) wins a pizza party with the local fire department (love firemen!!!). For our small school, we do very well, just under a thousand cans last year.

18. Bully Prev Lady

Bully Prev Lady New Member

Nov 1, 2012

Yes, we have had a food drive that pitted to favorite teams against each other. We live in Alabama, so each canned item counts as 1 point for their favorite "team" either Alabama or Auburn. The students and the faculty get involved, no one wants their team to lose. So they bring a lot of cans. You can also have the different grades against each other and have a "fun" activity for the class winner.

19. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Nov 2, 2012

For the past few years, we have done a "fill the bus" canned food drive, and theoretically are competing against a few other schools in town to see which school can fill the bus more. You know who wins? The charity that gets the food. :) No prizes that I am aware of, other than the schools get some minor recognition in the newspaper for helping out, and they knowledge that they are helping people in the community.

20. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2012

Last year we had a can-castle building competition among the homerooms. That was awesome.

21. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2012

I like this, we had each grade level build a sculpture. One made a huge bus!