Substitute Teaching Survey

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 6, 2018

I get kind of frustrated with the lack of feedback from substituting. For example, you never hear if you did a good job or a bad job, etc. and I think some teachers might like the opportunity to provide their subs feedback in case they are asked back again in the future. So I got the idea to make a survey and add it to business cards I designed (apparently most subs have business cards -- keep getting asked for my card).

However I'm having a hard time with the questions. This is what I have so far: https://goo.gl/forms/KFjTCARyLntHtx0m1

At first I had difficulty phrasing the questions (i.e. do I say "How satisfied are you with my... substitute teaching performance? subbing? teaching? your experience with me as your sub? etc.") Also I don't know if there are any other questions I should add or remove.

Should I remove the questions about grade level and subject to make it more anonymous or give teachers the opportunity to answer them as an option (it might be helpful if I teach the same subject later)? I don't want to make the survey too bloated either because if it takes too long to fill out they probably just wouldn't do it. (I could just make it the satisfaction rating and ask for additional comments if I want to make it really minimalistic).

Any ideas? How likely is it that you would fill out a survey after the fact?

I'm also playing around with the idea of typing sub notes to teachers and emailing them. My handwriting is horrendous, and I find that I often can't fit everything in the space that I usually have. Also I type faster and it would make the job less painful. Good idea? Bad idea?

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 6, 2018

We already have a rating system through our sub program AESOP. We rate our subs from 1 to 5 stars, and can leave comments if necessary. I always give 5 stars because I've never had any major issues with any subs. I don't usually leave any comments though. If they did screw something up, I would politely let them know in the comments, and give a lower rating.

I had one of my subs who emailed me to let me know how the day went, as opposed to leaving a note. I liked that as I knew what went on before returning the next day.

Indi likes this.
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2018

I can't open your survey...says I need permission.

REGARDLESS, We use Aesop... when I'm not satisfied with a sub over multiple placements, I'll put him/her on my 'no thank you' list. I don't give visible feedback...our subs are local, will be in building for other teachers....I don't want to start a commotion. I just don't necessarily want that sub in my room again.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 7, 2018

Good catch! That would've have been pointless to send out a survey that they couldn't access. Fixed it! Thanks!

Understandable. The feedback is more for me anyway and can be anonymous. If I am not asked back, I would like to know why so I don't make similar mistakes in another teachers' classroom. If the teacher would rather not leave feedback that's cool too.

We also use Aesop, but I don't think teachers are able to provide feedback to subs. They might have disabled that feature.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 7, 2018

I'll be honest and say that with the million other responsibilities I have and trying to catch up after being out, I would be highly unlikely to fill out extra non-required paperwork for you. I can say that the great majority of teachers I work with would say the same thing.

The other thing is that it's really hard for me to tell if the day was really great or if there were just no major incidents, because obviously I wasn't there. Even if kids tell me the next day that they loved the sub, that could mean the sub let them play around the whole period. If the kids tell me the sub was "mean," that could just mean that the sub didn't let them get away with any crap. If a major incident happens, other teachers in my hallway would be able to tell me about it, but otherwise they're busy teaching in their own rooms and don't really know for sure what's going on in my room either. There is no way for me to tell the difference between "awesome" and "barely functioned but wasn't disruptive to other classes."

I have put a couple of subs on my "no call" list, and in those cases they did something very obviously wrong. In the most recent example, I came back to math manipulatives and other materials all over my room with a note from the sub informing me that the kids wanted to play with the "blocks" (math manipulatives) and that she had let them build little houses with them and then did a shared writing activity about the houses. She completely ignored the plans I left and seemed pretty proud of herself for coming up with a "better" activity :rolleyes:.

If you are following the teacher's plans and keeping the class under reasonable control I wouldn't worry about not being called back. IMO that's really all people are looking for.

Caesar753, agdamity and Peregrin5 like this.
  7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 7, 2018

That's true. It might be good for me to limit my survey down to just the satisfaction rating and the option for comments if they want just so they'd be more likely to fill it out rather than looking at it and "nope-ing".

Also true about not fully being able to tell what happened while you were away. I try to be as detailed as I can be in my notes but obviously I can't get the entire day down minute by minute. I guess I would just like to be told if I left the room clean enough for them, if the work was completed to their satisfaction (if work is collected), or if something missed my attention that might be important for next time.

I'm less worried about not being called back and more just about what I can do to improve.

8. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jan 8, 2018

Sorry, but I stopped providing sub ratings in Aesop when my district turned off my ability to view any feedback left by subs. Quite honestly, I do not trust how the district might use the information. If I have feedback for a sub, I will share it the next time we talk.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jan 8, 2018

In my experience subbing, it is likely harder for teachers to give feedback because they aren't there in class. At most, I have gotten good feedback about the notes that I have left. Another way to get feedback is from other teachers who might step into your room, but this does not always happen. I think it would be hard for teachers to fill out a form like this.

I think emailing your notes to teachers is completely fine and many teachers might appreciate it. It would be fine to add a line to the email that says "I am always looking for ways to improve as a substitute, so I would appreciate any feedback you have for me."

Subbing is hard because you don't get much feedback. I never received any feedback on Aesop. A lot of my growth as a sub came from observing teachers in different grade levels when I had the opportunity (usually occurred when I was a co-teacher) and trying strategies that worked or me. It is generally easy to tell when a day went well or poorly so self-reflection is also really important. I'm not sure how many schools you are subbing at, but I also found that I could connect with more members of the staff and get more feedback when I subbed at the same school regularly.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 8, 2018

When you’re at that campus again, pop in to see the teacher at the end of the day or some common planning time to ask if everything was okay.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 8, 2018

I've subbed about 8-9 times and so far I haven't had a repeat school. We have a very large district and I'm subbing elementary all the way to high school.

12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2018

LOL I got blocked from subbing in one of the schools in my district. I would say that's a pretty dead giveaway how they feel.
    :rofl:

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 9, 2018

We've never met IRL, but I think it'd be a hoot to see you in a K/1 classroom (based on what I do know about you)!

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 9, 2018

I won't lie. It was probably entertaining to anyone watching. LOL!

15. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 9, 2018

Did they say what for??

16. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jan 9, 2018

One of the hardest things for me about subbing is the lack of feedback. I was casually told, "Good job." months ago from an admin. I've held on to those two words since it's all I've ever really got - hundreds of days in. But, there are metrics I use to see my own improvement....less nurse requests for the littlest ones (tummy aches go up if you don't have good control/trust), requests, energy level at the end of the day, etc. I wish there was a way to get feedback, but our PD is an afterthought. I understand that, but it stinks nonetheless. I also wish we could tap into the district's PD classes and training - even if I had to pay for it - at least for us licensed subs. For example, even taking CPR through the district with teachers would be nice.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2018

I never asked and wouldn't expect an (honest) answer anyway. I'm pretty sure I know the reasons though. And it comes down to small public schools are very cliquey and if you piss off one person, then you pretty much get the cold shoulder from the rest of them.
    I subbed for two teachers in particular, the kindergarten and Special Ed teacher, who didn't seem to like the way I did things and are pretty cushy with the principal, so I'm pretty sure that sealed my fate. The days I subbed for them I did the best I could with what I had. The kinder teacher wanted to extend her spring break and left lackluster plans behind and were all mis-matched in the wrong folders so I just tried to do what I could. I asked the TAs in the room constantly "Is this the math lesson?'' "Is this what she wants?" And all I got were shrugs... BIG HELP there! I left her notes about what I completed, what I didn't, and why. I remember her lesson plans said "The TA will be in to run the phonics routine from 8:00 - 9:00 because she knows it and it's too complicated to explain.'' OK. 8:00 came, No TA... 8:15... Still nothing. And she NEVER showed up! I just played Go Noodle and Story Online videos to keep them occupied hoping she'd pop in. I remember when the teacher came back she passively aggressively ripped into me and said "Well this wasn't done... this wasn't done...'' blah blah and I missed a special (library) that day! ERR her plans were labeled wrong and I even consulted with the TAs who were both clueless. I even asked for clarification from other teachers that I knew in the building and they couldn't really make sense of it. The long and short of it is, don't extend your vacation and then get mad if a sub doesn't get stuff done. Especially if you leave piss poorly written and vague plans. But she was one of the faves in the building... even though a lot of teachers don't like her... but you know how it goes.
    As a sub I'm just a peon attempting to scratch out a living and make it through the day, even though I'm a better teacher than a lot of the teachers I see in action. It just makes me sad.
    :cry:

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2018

You seem equally judgemental about teachers you don't know . You have NO IDEA why a teacher 'extended her vacation' or why plans seeemed lackluster to you or why the TA was late. Move on to the next part of the plan and reconvene when the TA does show up. It's not up to you to decide to veer from the plans. If there's a glitch, move onto the next line item in the plans. Commenting on how you perceive 'a lot of teachers don't like her' is petty..especially given you were put on the 'blocked' list. You're coming off as petty and petulant.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  19. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Jan 22, 2018

I have been subbing for nearly 6 years, and am pretty happy with the 'feedback' I get. Mostly it comes in the way of how glad the staff seems to be when they see that I am the one filling in for a teacher. I have been told they are 'glad it is me' who took the assignment. That sounds pretty positive to me.

Also, there are SEVERAL teachers for whom I am a "preferred sub" and when they are going to be out I usually get the call and I am always sorry when I already have an assignment and have to turn down their slot.

I often have assignments lined up in advance but also am happy to get an assignment for an unexpected absence. Those sometimes are a little more effort, because perhaps the teacher has not prepared a specific lesson plan, but generally they have an 'emergency' plan folder with their schedules, so that I can cover the needed tasks.

And at the district office recently I was told that I was one of their best subs, so that is pretty positive.

I also love the kids, and (although this is sort of weird to believe) have worked with some of them from kindergarten to middle school by now! Who knew!

I do have my preferences of schools, but go to all of them if assigned. I also have my preferences of teachers (just as they have their preferences of subs) but accept most assignments.

I love this job and am so happy that I can help both the teachers and the students.

Just as much as positive feedback is welcomed from the SCHOOLS, I really love the feedback I get when I encounter the students out shopping or at some venue, and they remember me, hug me, tell their parents I am their favorite sub and are very positive to me!

20. LizCaffey

LizCaffey Rookie

Jan 22, 2018

I've been subbing for a few years and agree you won't get a lot of direct feedback but like others said people will tell you they are happy to see you or ask you directly for an assignment. I got a long term sub position for a couple months and the teacher I was filling in for told me I had come highly recommended before that I had no idea what anyone thought of what I was doing. Maybe some comments from the students they would say they were glad I wasn't angry apparently a lot of the subs make it clear to them they don't enjoy being there. (Im subbing in a high school district).